My parents didn't tell me about my suspected autism

My therapist told me that in my past therapeutic treatment (more that ten years ago in primary school) it was suspected that I might be autistic. I never got tested because I stopped attending for personal reasons. According to my current therapist she knows this because my parents told her.

I did not know untill she told me. My parents never told me anything about it. Looking back, the fact that my parents knew for years that I possibly am autistic makes sense. It makes sense because they always wanted me to go to therapy and told me that I am "different". I never understood what they meant with It. And for me it simply did hurt. Because obviously I did know that there is something different about me, of course I noticed that. However it hurt to hear it from someone else. It now makes sense to me but going through school I had a tough time. I think school would have been easier for me knowing the why.

Well I do now. Because my therapist told me. It just makes me feel terrible. As my current therapist also thinks that I am autistic and I do too, it is currently in discussion whether I should get an official diagnosis.

Now I do not know whether I should even discuss the topic with my parents because I feel like there are a lot of prejuduces about the topic in my family. On the other hand there are high chances that other family members are also affected and I think it could be helpful for them.

What do you think about talking about the diagnosis to my family? Is there anyone with a similar experience where the parents didn't tell you?

Also I hope that my English ist understandable as it is not my mothertounge.

Thank you.

Parents
  • Although probably not exactly what you're looking for in an answer, but I'll share my experience.

I was diagnoses ASD last year, aged 52.
    When I spoke to my step mum about my diagnosis, her response was that she wasn't surprised.
    She said that she had suspected that I may be autistic when I was younger (early-mid teens), but didn't feel that it was "her place" to say anything.
    I do recall that at the time there were a lot of arguments between my parents, playing each others children against each other. Like her accusing my dad of favouring me and my brother over her son, and vice versa.

• Although probably not exactly what you're looking for in an answer, but I'll share my experience.

I was diagnoses ASD last year, aged 52.
    When I spoke to my step mum about my diagnosis, her response was that she wasn't surprised.
    She said that she had suspected that I may be autistic when I was younger (early-mid teens), but didn't feel that it was "her place" to say anything.
    I do recall that at the time there were a lot of arguments between my parents, playing each others children against each other. Like her accusing my dad of favouring me and my brother over her son, and vice versa.

Children
No Data