My parents didn't tell me about my suspected autism

My therapist told me that in my past therapeutic treatment (more that ten years ago in primary school) it was suspected that I might be autistic. I never got tested because I stopped attending for personal reasons. According to my current therapist she knows this because my parents told her.

I did not know untill she told me. My parents never told me anything about it. Looking back, the fact that my parents knew for years that I possibly am autistic makes sense. It makes sense because they always wanted me to go to therapy and told me that I am "different". I never understood what they meant with It. And for me it simply did hurt. Because obviously I did know that there is something different about me, of course I noticed that. However it hurt to hear it from someone else. It now makes sense to me but going through school I had a tough time. I think school would have been easier for me knowing the why.

Well I do now. Because my therapist told me. It just makes me feel terrible. As my current therapist also thinks that I am autistic and I do too, it is currently in discussion whether I should get an official diagnosis.

Now I do not know whether I should even discuss the topic with my parents because I feel like there are a lot of prejuduces about the topic in my family. On the other hand there are high chances that other family members are also affected and I think it could be helpful for them.

What do you think about talking about the diagnosis to my family? Is there anyone with a similar experience where the parents didn't tell you?

Also I hope that my English ist understandable as it is not my mothertounge.

Thank you.

• Although probably not exactly what you're looking for in an answer, but I'll share my experience.

I was diagnoses ASD last year, aged 52.
    When I spoke to my step mum about my diagnosis, her response was that she wasn't surprised.
    She said that she had suspected that I may be autistic when I was younger (early-mid teens), but didn't feel that it was "her place" to say anything.
    I do recall that at the time there were a lot of arguments between my parents, playing each others children against each other. Like her accusing my dad of favouring me and my brother over her son, and vice versa.