If diagnosed, do you regret it?

I was talking to someone the other day as they haven't sought after a diagnosis for ASD as they didn't want to regret it later (as they thought an official diagnosis could limit their opportunities after university), and it got me thinking. I did not consider any of the potential issues after getting an official diagnosis, I just wanted some answers. Unlike them, I have had various mental health issues, and I've tried therapy many times to no avail. Obviously some mental health issues can be co-morbid of ASD and with how I am socially it should have been investigated when I was much younger. It wasn't until I was in my early 20's, fed up of wondering why therapy didn't seem to work for me but wanted to be "normal" I started to consider that I may be autistic. So I went after a diagnosis, which has allowed me to give up notion that one day I can be "normal" if I try hard enough, and I am okay with being different now (after getting over post diagnosis grief). So for me the diagnosis was worth potentially limiting my opportunities (even though I'm 99% sure it won't as my interests and ambitions are not effected as far as I know).

I was wondering what everyone else's experiences or opinions on the matter are?

Parents
  • At age 53, on balance, I don’t have regrets about getting a diagnosis, even though I had reservations about the true motivations of those who wanted me to get a diagnosis, where I had initially been reluctant to do so, especially given the lack of post diagnostic assessments for autistic adults, which in many respects is the gateway to accessing relevant and appropriate post-diagnostic support. For me, getting a post-diagnostic assessment is a huge issue for the reasons stated, as without it, how does one know what the most appropriate and relevant supports are, as it has the effect of limiting one’s ability to move forward. I firmly believe and maintain that this should be a focus of NAS future campaigns for the newly diagnosed, especially if diagnosed later in life. Without this, it does mean awkward conversations need to be had with jobcentre staff because one has no idea what one’s support needs are without this important benchmark 

• At age 53, on balance, I don’t have regrets about getting a diagnosis, even though I had reservations about the true motivations of those who wanted me to get a diagnosis, where I had initially been reluctant to do so, especially given the lack of post diagnostic assessments for autistic adults, which in many respects is the gateway to accessing relevant and appropriate post-diagnostic support. For me, getting a post-diagnostic assessment is a huge issue for the reasons stated, as without it, how does one know what the most appropriate and relevant supports are, as it has the effect of limiting one’s ability to move forward. I firmly believe and maintain that this should be a focus of NAS future campaigns for the newly diagnosed, especially if diagnosed later in life. Without this, it does mean awkward conversations need to be had with jobcentre staff because one has no idea what one’s support needs are without this important benchmark 

Children
No Data