Christmas cards indecision

Whenever I stock up on Christmas cards, I like to purchase a selection featuring different images that appeal to me in some way. When it comes time for me to write out my cards, I will then attempt to choose a card featuring an image that I think the recipient will like most.

A few weeks ago, I happened to be in the vicinity of a greeting card shop that I usually purchase my Christmas cards from. Remembering that my supply of Christmas cards at home wouldn't be sufficient to see me through this Christmas, and not knowing when I might next visit my town centre, I considered it wise to stock up.

In recent days, I have been thinking that I must get my Christmas cards written and posted, to avoid leaving them until the last minute and then pannicking. I know people say it is the thought that counts, but I dislike it when I am on the receiving end of greeting cards that arrive after the event.

Anyway, I have been looking at my packs of Christmas cards feeling thoroughly indecisive. The rational part of my brain is telling me that Aunty so-and-so probably won't care whether she receives a card featuring a robin, deer, or a colony of penguins. It strikes me as ridiculous that I feel unable to select just any old card at random.

Is it just me, or does anyone else experience the same kind of indecision with choosing greeting cards for people?

Parents
  • Oh yeah. I do this, spend forever choosing the perfect card, the perfect wrapping paper,the perfect gift tag and ribbons, the perfect gift! (I even make sure I have the best invisible sellotape!) Takes up so much time and energy (and money!) have a massive need to be liked so I want to always do my best in that sort of situation and demonstrate how well I know the person and how thoughtfully it was all chosen, plus am a perfectionist so it all has to match, or be part of a theme, or colour or something! 

• You sound very much like how I used to be, in terms of the presentation of gifts. Yep! I couldn't just use any old wrapping paper, gift tag, or ribbon. It all had to be carefully colour-coordinated, and akin to a work of art intended to wow the recipient. Laughing

When my son was young, the whole present-wrapping thing was a nightmare. Many of my relatives would send me cheques to buy presents on their behalf, as they didn't live locally. This meant having to buy multiple rolls of wrapping paper and the like because I couldn't possibly use the same wrapping paper for the presents from those different relatives, plus the ones that Father Christmas had asked me to wrap.

• You sound very much like how I used to be, in terms of the presentation of gifts. Yep! I couldn't just use any old wrapping paper, gift tag, or ribbon. It all had to be carefully colour-coordinated, and akin to a work of art intended to wow the recipient. Laughing

When my son was young, the whole present-wrapping thing was a nightmare. Many of my relatives would send me cheques to buy presents on their behalf, as they didn't live locally. This meant having to buy multiple rolls of wrapping paper and the like because I couldn't possibly use the same wrapping paper for the presents from those different relatives, plus the ones that Father Christmas had asked me to wrap.

Children
No Data