Christmas cards indecision

Whenever I stock up on Christmas cards, I like to purchase a selection featuring different images that appeal to me in some way. When it comes time for me to write out my cards, I will then attempt to choose a card featuring an image that I think the recipient will like most.

A few weeks ago, I happened to be in the vicinity of a greeting card shop that I usually purchase my Christmas cards from. Remembering that my supply of Christmas cards at home wouldn't be sufficient to see me through this Christmas, and not knowing when I might next visit my town centre, I considered it wise to stock up.

In recent days, I have been thinking that I must get my Christmas cards written and posted, to avoid leaving them until the last minute and then pannicking. I know people say it is the thought that counts, but I dislike it when I am on the receiving end of greeting cards that arrive after the event.

Anyway, I have been looking at my packs of Christmas cards feeling thoroughly indecisive. The rational part of my brain is telling me that Aunty so-and-so probably won't care whether she receives a card featuring a robin, deer, or a colony of penguins. It strikes me as ridiculous that I feel unable to select just any old card at random.

Is it just me, or does anyone else experience the same kind of indecision with choosing greeting cards for people?

• I love to pass christmas cards every year too

• I am sure the friend of one of my grandmothers did something similar, back in the days before 'recycling' and 'upcycling' became a part of everyday vocabulary. 

• Another person who feels the need to choose the perfect card. Yay!

As I've gotten older, I've had to become ruthless and selective in terms of the things I hold onto, mainly because I don't have the space to hold onto everything.

Should you find yourself needing to be equally as ruthless, some of those Christmas cards and birthday cards could be re-used. I have a friend who will make greeting cards using images from cards she has received. In addition, I have relatives who will use the images from greeting cards they have received to make gift tags.

• I can understand why your preference is to send e-cards. I have a friend who moved to County Cork during her late teens, and the cost of sending her cards by Airmail can be expensive. However, as I have relatives and close friends that I now seldom get to see, I don't mind spending the extra on posting them Christmas cards. There can be something rather lovely and exciting about receiving a card in the post that one can physically hold in one's hands.

• You sound very much like how I used to be, in terms of the presentation of gifts. Yep! I couldn't just use any old wrapping paper, gift tag, or ribbon. It all had to be carefully colour-coordinated, and akin to a work of art intended to wow the recipient. Laughing

When my son was young, the whole present-wrapping thing was a nightmare. Many of my relatives would send me cheques to buy presents on their behalf, as they didn't live locally. This meant having to buy multiple rolls of wrapping paper and the like because I couldn't possibly use the same wrapping paper for the presents from those different relatives, plus the ones that Father Christmas had asked me to wrap.

• I find it reassuring that it is not just me who has difficulty choosing the "right" card. It seems to be a trait on my mother's side of the family, as they are just the same.

Whilst I cannot claim to keep ALL the cards I receive, I do have a collection of favourite cards I have received during the past 10+ years, which I put up each year. When there are cards from dearly departed loved ones, it just makes those cards all the more special (seeing their handwriting inside the cards).

• My great aunt hated wasting things and would reuse greetings cards she'd received by scribbling out the original sender's message and writing her own in it. She would also reuse the original envelope by turning it inside out and sticking it back together again Upside down

• I love choosing Christmas cards and they always have to be just right ^-^ 

Always spend so much time looking through them and finding the loveliest with the cutest picture. There's so many to choose from and it makes deciding hard but I'll usually find that perfect one ... eventually :-) 

Mine usually have geese on them lol :D 

I find it very distressing that people throw their cards away.

I have a huge box full of every Christmas and birthday card I ever got. And I still keep them now. I never ever throw away things that were bought for me :) 

• These days, I just don’t bother sending Christmas Cards and this has been the case for the past few years - instead I just send e-cards from good e-card websites and just send them out to contacts in my email or people that I have an email address for as the postal service can no longer be relied upon anymore - in terms of the design, I send card designs reflecting my faith, such as the Nativity Scene, the Star, Angels, etc 

• Oh yeah. I do this, spend forever choosing the perfect card, the perfect wrapping paper,the perfect gift tag and ribbons, the perfect gift! (I even make sure I have the best invisible sellotape!) Takes up so much time and energy (and money!) have a massive need to be liked so I want to always do my best in that sort of situation and demonstrate how well I know the person and how thoughtfully it was all chosen, plus am a perfectionist so it all has to match, or be part of a theme, or colour or something! 

• Hello Sparkly,

yes you are not alone in this. I spend more time than most of the general population of the Earth looking through Christmas cards for the right ones for the right people. It's ludicrous really because let's be honest, those receiving the said card likely bin them after Christmas. I never bin cards but everyone in my family does. One of my favourite things is looking through my own cards I've received, I like looking at the different pictures and art on them.

I have real trouble deciding on a card. I spend a great deal of time in the card shop looking through the cards for the right one. My husband says I'm mad and any old card will do but this for me is important and it's got to be done right or not at all.  Relaxed