Anxiety with buying presents

This is probably my least fave part of Christmas the buying presents.

I never know what to buy people. The presents I normally buy end up forgotten about or thrown away later on the next year, I think people think I forgot I bought it but I don't I always remember. The only person who keeps what I buy is my father. I normally get him records and he seems to really appreciate it.

Everyone else gets rid so I guess I don't buy what they like.

This year at school we've got secret Santa again! Well early as usual but I appreciate the earlyness as I don't have any idea what I'll be getting for Talis (girl in my class) I know nothing about her and what she likes. We sit together in some classes but I still don't know about her. 

I hate present buying. The whole idea makes me anxious and I've not got any of my family a single present yet either.

Parents
  • I'm considerably older than you , so feel free to dismiss anything that doesn't seem applicable to you.

With close family members, unless I'm fairly confident they will like the gift(s) I plan to give them, I will make a point of asking them what they would like. For example, my son usually asks for clothes, which I tend to order online. During the run-up to Christmas, I'll get him to choose a selection, and then I'll order one or two items from that list.

For Christmas this year, I asked my mother if she would like a hooded blanket. Why? Because she has osteoarthritis and isn't as physically active as she used to be, and often complains of feeling cold. 

Homemade biscuits and chocolates are always a hit in my family, although it's admittedly been a few years since I last made any.

Gift cards are another option, although I find it helps if one knows that the gift card is for a retailer the recipient uses. During recent years, I've been on the receiving end of Amazon gift vouchers from relatives. They're wasted on me because I don't use Amazon. Fortunately, there are now e-commerce websites such as Cardyard (UK-based) where one can sell unwanted gift cards and gift vouchers.

As for Secret Santa, that is something I have no experience of. 

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I like the idea of baking something from home like some cupcakes or something..... something cool anyway. I'd love to get her something bee related but not sure she's interested in bees like I am LMAO.

I like the idea of a gift card as well Grinning my mum also suggested this idea.

Are you looking forward to Christmas? I am. I'm just hoping it will be quiet I hate how busy it all gets.

• For a good many years, it became a tradition for me to make a large batch of boozy homemade chocolate truffles, which I would then give as gifts to my family. For me, the fun part was tasting the truffle mix to ensure it tasted just right. Grin  

Currently, I think I feel indifferent about Christmas. I'm not feeling majorly excited about it, but I'm not dreading it either.

• For a good many years, it became a tradition for me to make a large batch of boozy homemade chocolate truffles, which I would then give as gifts to my family. For me, the fun part was tasting the truffle mix to ensure it tasted just right. Grin  

Currently, I think I feel indifferent about Christmas. I'm not feeling majorly excited about it, but I'm not dreading it either.

Children
  • I've never had truffles but I think my mum likes them and I know dad would love boozy ones lolol. I would love to make some chocolate. I make chocolate chip cookies from time to timeGrinning 

I'm looking forward to Christmas but at home enjoying the music and movies. I love Christmas music and movies, for me it's the best part.