What was your school like?

I didn't like school much espech secondary because it was a huge school and I was bullied a lot

Primary school was ok at first because I went to a really small school which was actually an old building

This was it

It's since been turned in to flats sadly :( 

My secondary school was monstrous lol XD I hated it from start to finish.

I enjoyed learning but I would have preferred doing it from home :) 

Sometimes I miss school but mostly its bad memories.

In the hall at my first school we did a Christmas show and sang silent night together my mum has it on video it's a strange video because I'm only small and don't really look like me now.

Parents
  • I’m most probably the same as many, Infant School was small and not too bad, Primary School was slightly bigger and had corporal punishment, I just kept my head down and went mostly unnoticed until I started seeing a ‘special’ teacher. Secondary School was just horrible, can’t say I enjoyed a single day. The transition from Primary to Secondary was like being thrown into The Colosseums Gladiator pit. The bullying was on an epic scale, I think it’s where we learn to mask very quickly. Debbie mentioned vocational lessons, I would have loved that, in the last year of school a group of boys would be allowed to attend the local college for  motor vehicles studies, I had been working on classic cars since I was about 8 but wasn’t allowed to go as I was in the top sets for English and maths, all the popular boys were chosen and none went on into the motor industry. I would often see the minibus return late afternoon out of a window while that year reading ‘A Brave New World’ and ‘1984’ ( yawn), strangely it was 1984. I went to the college a year later and three years after that obtained my City & Guilds in Motor Vehicle Design, Construction and Components. Quite liked college, I was treated as an adult and not called just by my surname, Mr. was added! The maths did turnout handy as the course involved a lot of calculations in Physics. Only small classes but 8.30am to 8.00pm so exhausting. I actually found my certificates a few weeks ago while clearing the attic out, we had to take a second subject, I found a certificate for City & Guilds with distinction in Communication Skills!  My wife said, “how the blo*dy hell did you get that?” Answer was, “Simple, I just had to attend every lesson and I did!” 

• I’m most probably the same as many, Infant School was small and not too bad, Primary School was slightly bigger and had corporal punishment, I just kept my head down and went mostly unnoticed until I started seeing a ‘special’ teacher. Secondary School was just horrible, can’t say I enjoyed a single day. The transition from Primary to Secondary was like being thrown into The Colosseums Gladiator pit. The bullying was on an epic scale, I think it’s where we learn to mask very quickly. Debbie mentioned vocational lessons, I would have loved that, in the last year of school a group of boys would be allowed to attend the local college for  motor vehicles studies, I had been working on classic cars since I was about 8 but wasn’t allowed to go as I was in the top sets for English and maths, all the popular boys were chosen and none went on into the motor industry. I would often see the minibus return late afternoon out of a window while that year reading ‘A Brave New World’ and ‘1984’ ( yawn), strangely it was 1984. I went to the college a year later and three years after that obtained my City & Guilds in Motor Vehicle Design, Construction and Components. Quite liked college, I was treated as an adult and not called just by my surname, Mr. was added! The maths did turnout handy as the course involved a lot of calculations in Physics. Only small classes but 8.30am to 8.00pm so exhausting. I actually found my certificates a few weeks ago while clearing the attic out, we had to take a second subject, I found a certificate for City & Guilds with distinction in Communication Skills!  My wife said, “how the blo*dy hell did you get that?” Answer was, “Simple, I just had to attend every lesson and I did!” 

Children
  • Debbie mentioned vocational lessons, I would have loved that,

In the school my husband went to, Portsmouth Technical High School, he learnt:

Brick laying, plastering, painting and decorating (home), metalwork including using lathes and a forge, woodwork laboratory, a full screenprinting lab, etching and paper crafts eg. pencil boxes, blotters, marbling.

He still uses these skills today.

A totally amazing school that I would have loved to have gone to but I suspect girls would have been taught 'home' skills.

I just learnt cooking and needlework at my school.

I think that those TH schools were a superb idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_technical_school