What was your school like?

I didn't like school much espech secondary because it was a huge school and I was bullied a lot

Primary school was ok at first because I went to a really small school which was actually an old building

This was it

It's since been turned in to flats sadly :( 

My secondary school was monstrous lol XD I hated it from start to finish.

I enjoyed learning but I would have preferred doing it from home :) 

Sometimes I miss school but mostly its bad memories.

In the hall at my first school we did a Christmas show and sang silent night together my mum has it on video it's a strange video because I'm only small and don't really look like me now.

Parents
  • One theme running through the replies is that the further back you go in time, the worse children were treated by teachers.

Corporal punishment is an obvious difference, but also just plain cruelty, like the tales of being forced to face the wall.

In my junior school a punishment was forcing boys to stand in front of the class and having books piled onto their hands, and not being allowed to drop them.

I was pulled out of the class by my hair by a teacher in my junior school.

Physical punishments such as spanking were the norm at home in those days too but going further back my mother got 'the strap'.

An old saying my mum often used: 'children should be seen but not heard'.

A good thing in the junior school is that they had people come in to test children's eyes, so at the age of 9 I could see properly for the first time with my NHS specs Nerd

Junior school wasn't as bad for bullying as the senior but I did have some physical fights with boys.

A theme that persists throughout our experiences, with some exceptions, is social isolation, no matter what the era.

• aye but modern schools the children run amok and even attack teachers. in modern high schools.

i dont agree with the old schools physically assaulting kids with canes lol thats a bit much maybe.... but the fact kids in high schools are so insane and run riot attacking teachers in class tells me that a ballance between both is required, there needs to be some form of discipline. a balance between old and new, as new is a bit too loose and allows kids to destroy the school structure and ruin learning process.

• The treatment of children was poorer for children in the older days, more so if the said child was special needs and had more difficulties than the rest. 21st Century schools, the ones I went to, the teachers have no power to discipline if they do they'll either be fired or face prison..... Kids know this, especially the older kids so they get away with all sorts.

When I was at school Tubby Jenkins was a right pr*ck he was horrible to the other kids and swore at the teachers, even threw his meal over a dinner lady. His parents got a letter but he was like it again and again.

I don't think it's right to be cruel to kids but not being able to discipline when they're being little sods means they don't respect or care about adults and teachers. As my Grandad tells me he received the cane and it taught him to be a decent responsible man.

• Thank you for sharing.

I found that interesting.

You are talking about parents here though I think, when we have mainly been talking about school.

Not having had my own children, I'm not qualified to comment, but my husband says he'd give the children a 'gentle' smack on the odd occasion and sees that as fine.

I just feel that if physical reprimands can be avoided they should, which I think is probably what most reasonable parents would feel anyway.

In an ideal world, I'd like there to be no physical violence at all, to anyone (especially animals), but what a dream world that would be.

• Thank you for sharing.

I found that interesting.

You are talking about parents here though I think, when we have mainly been talking about school.

Not having had my own children, I'm not qualified to comment, but my husband says he'd give the children a 'gentle' smack on the odd occasion and sees that as fine.

I just feel that if physical reprimands can be avoided they should, which I think is probably what most reasonable parents would feel anyway.

In an ideal world, I'd like there to be no physical violence at all, to anyone (especially animals), but what a dream world that would be.

Children
No Data