What was your school like?

I didn't like school much espech secondary because it was a huge school and I was bullied a lot

Primary school was ok at first because I went to a really small school which was actually an old building

This was it

It's since been turned in to flats sadly :( 

My secondary school was monstrous lol XD I hated it from start to finish.

I enjoyed learning but I would have preferred doing it from home :) 

Sometimes I miss school but mostly its bad memories.

In the hall at my first school we did a Christmas show and sang silent night together my mum has it on video it's a strange video because I'm only small and don't really look like me now.

Parents
  • My senior school was dire really.

It was Secondary Modern because I didn't pass the 11+ and there was no expectation of exams being taken so the education was poor.

My education was only salvaged by it becoming Comprehensive and a grammar school closing.

That meant that the pupils and teachers joined us.

I went from being bottom of the top class to being top of the top class.

However, bullied horribly, physically and verbally, throughout.

i think with private schools too though its a effect that the kids there want a education.
    while in anything free, its more a prison camp and the kids hate being there, they are not there to learn they are forced there against their will so they get aggressive.
    I can safely say that I certainly don't miss school and being forced to learn about subjects that I had little interest in.

These 2 comments set me thinking.

I don't know much about modern schooling as I haven't had children.

However, do we need something different where perhaps children can learn a skill for jobs rather than learning stuff they don't want to?

Should children be able to leave school earlier than they do (my mum left at 14)?

• However, do we need something different where perhaps children can learn a skill for jobs rather than learning stuff they don't want to?

I'm now fully immersed in the school system, despite promising myself I'd never return... GCSE is a wide range of subjects in most schools, many are more vocational than academic- and this is a route open to students when they take their GCSE options. Really, in spite of Governmental tinkering, for political gain, on the whole, Secondary education isn't all that different in some respects. A certain amount of streaming still takes place as well.

Should children be able to leave school earlier than they do (my mum left at 14)

God No! Joy

Today's 14 year olds aren't equipped for the real world - most of them at least. They're still very much children in many ways, with the expectation of remaining so for some time. Culturally and politically, we've pushed adulthood further and further down the line in recent years. 

• Thank you Pegg for that explanation.

All the best for your new job.

• I'm sorry to hear that.

Jobs are a bit of a battleground, aren't they.

I will keep everything crossed for you that it gets better but that, if it doesn't, leaving without too much difficulty is an option.

Reply Children
No Data