What was your school like?

I didn't like school much espech secondary because it was a huge school and I was bullied a lot

Primary school was ok at first because I went to a really small school which was actually an old building

This was it

It's since been turned in to flats sadly :( 

My secondary school was monstrous lol XD I hated it from start to finish.

I enjoyed learning but I would have preferred doing it from home :) 

Sometimes I miss school but mostly its bad memories.

In the hall at my first school we did a Christmas show and sang silent night together my mum has it on video it's a strange video because I'm only small and don't really look like me now.

Parents
  • That looks like a nice building to be taught in Goosey.

Here's my 1st school, infants, mid demolition.

This was in place whilst the new one was being built.

It had outdoor toilets (as we did at home too) and was very basic in facilities.

This would be around 1967.

In those days corporal punishment was in place so the girls were given the slipper and the boys the cane.

However, I'm sure this (CP) was used in the junior, but unsure about the infants.

My infant school memories (once we moved into the new school) aren't too bad.

A girl was continuously crying in the corner of the classroom though, which was sad.

She was made to face the wall all day.

I remember going on a school trip and everyone had money for ice creams and I was the only one who didn't.

A happy memory is making up food packs for the elderly residents of the nearby flats (where my nan lived) and delivering them in person during the Harvest Festival.

The school was in the most 'disadvantaged' area of Portsmouth, where we lived.

Another memory is school milk which used to make me feel sick as sometimes it was warm and I'd try to secretly get rid of it.

• A girl was continuously crying in the corner of the classroom though, which was sad.

It's hard to comprehend now but even in the early 70s that method was still used as a 'punishment' Pensive

I know because I was subjected to it at my nursery school. I was made to sit in the corner facing the wall nearly all day every day. I wasn't allowed to turn my head around to face the class or I would be yelled at by the teacher. I remember I cried a lot but if I cried too loudly I would be yelled at by the teacher and told I was "behaving like a baby" Cry 

My memories of what I was being 'punished' for are less vivid. I believe it was because I got overwhelmed by the noise from the other children in the playground and had meltdowns or tried to run away.

• A girl was continuously crying in the corner of the classroom though, which was sad.

It's hard to comprehend now but even in the early 70s that method was still used as a 'punishment' Pensive

I know because I was subjected to it at my nursery school. I was made to sit in the corner facing the wall nearly all day every day. I wasn't allowed to turn my head around to face the class or I would be yelled at by the teacher. I remember I cried a lot but if I cried too loudly I would be yelled at by the teacher and told I was "behaving like a baby" Cry 

My memories of what I was being 'punished' for are less vivid. I believe it was because I got overwhelmed by the noise from the other children in the playground and had meltdowns or tried to run away.

Children
  • We had a teacher similar when I was at infant or junior, or forget which. She’d make me stand with my face to the wall a lot and if I moved she’d hold the back of my head and push my nose into the wall Joy I’m laughing as I obviously didn’t let it bother me too much, I actually still remember her name and think fondly of her. I suppose that kind of punishment was normal back then, along with a slipper on the back of your leg or bum from your parents. I found being shouted at and talked down to far worse. 

Im with you on the disgusting warm milk

• That's just awful. 

She was made to stand and fainted more than once as, like for you, this was a continuous punishment.

I'm so sorry you suffered this Disappointed relieved