What was your school like?

I didn't like school much espech secondary because it was a huge school and I was bullied a lot

Primary school was ok at first because I went to a really small school which was actually an old building

This was it

It's since been turned in to flats sadly :( 

My secondary school was monstrous lol XD I hated it from start to finish.

I enjoyed learning but I would have preferred doing it from home :) 

Sometimes I miss school but mostly its bad memories.

In the hall at my first school we did a Christmas show and sang silent night together my mum has it on video it's a strange video because I'm only small and don't really look like me now.

Parents
  • That looks like a nice building to be taught in Goosey.

Here's my 1st school, infants, mid demolition.

This was in place whilst the new one was being built.

It had outdoor toilets (as we did at home too) and was very basic in facilities.

This would be around 1967.

In those days corporal punishment was in place so the girls were given the slipper and the boys the cane.

However, I'm sure this (CP) was used in the junior, but unsure about the infants.

My infant school memories (once we moved into the new school) aren't too bad.

A girl was continuously crying in the corner of the classroom though, which was sad.

She was made to face the wall all day.

I remember going on a school trip and everyone had money for ice creams and I was the only one who didn't.

A happy memory is making up food packs for the elderly residents of the nearby flats (where my nan lived) and delivering them in person during the Harvest Festival.

The school was in the most 'disadvantaged' area of Portsmouth, where we lived.

Another memory is school milk which used to make me feel sick as sometimes it was warm and I'd try to secretly get rid of it.

• A girl was continuously crying in the corner of the classroom though, which was sad.

she was punished for crying?
    did the teachers not see to her if shes ok or have any empathy? or was sadness punished and shunned back in those days?

• A girl was continuously crying in the corner of the classroom though, which was sad.

she was punished for crying?
    did the teachers not see to her if shes ok or have any empathy? or was sadness punished and shunned back in those days?

Children
  • Oh yes, you were not allowed to write with your left hand in the fifties. Happily I'm right handed, but what a stupid rule that was.

I've been stood in the corner a few times, and facing the wall, and had chalk thrown at me by the teacher., and they used to thwack you with a ruler. They really were rather cruel at times.

I never minded being told to write a hundred lines though..... and now I now why!

Ben

• I don't remember what she was punished for but I do remember that she wasn't white and was the only non-white child in our school.

The schooling was very harsh in those days though.

A chap I worked with went to a Catholic school and the teachers there hit his knuckles with the side of the ruler every time he tried to write with his left hand.

That was in the 50s.