What's your fav TV show that you always go back to?

Mine is Columbo!

It's way before my time but I watched it first with my parents when I was 14 and I've been hooked ever since. I love his character, I love the plots for the eps and I love the humour which I do understand for once..

Just one more thing!

It won 13 Emmys.

Parents
  • Doctor Who (and its expanded spinoffs universe) - my television soulmate - is such a constant fixation in my life that for decades there's been no gap long enough to fit  'going back to' in the sense I think you might mean - ie. an old friend taken down off the shelf and dusted off and fallen in love with/watch all over again. 

Some ones that fall into that dormancy/re-activation cycle:

Blake's 7

Northern Exposure

Star Cops

Sapphire and Steel

Oh yes, Columbo is great comfort watching. There's a series they should never try to re-make (I hate remakes in general): Peter Falk is irreplaceable. 

• I see you're a 5th Doctor fan. Good one! I love Peter Davison as the Doctor, I also thought he had a great group as his Team Tardis - Nyssa, Adric and Tegan. I often find the modern companions aren't especially good or maybe that's just me lol.

Do you have a fav ep? I liked The Visitation and Black Orchid with 5. I thought they were seriously underrated.

• Castrovalva is my all time favourite Who story. It is inexpressibly beautiful to me in a way I find hard to articulate to my satisfaction, It would be more accurate to say that Logopolis/Castrovalva as an A side/B side (the most perfect and moving and fluid handling of a regeneration ever) are my faves. But Castrovalva would just edge it if I was forced to bring just one to a desert planet.  

It's interesting that Castrovalva raises the question of is the celery imaginary, or a sort of ghost vegetable - at least until he gets to find a fresh replacement sprig? My own take on it is no, it's actually real as that one little bit of Castrovalva escaped the erasure of the realm - but it's kind of funny to think of it as Shrodinger's Celery on day one of Five's era anyway. 

I do love The Visitation and Black Orchid yes, but I adore that season in its entirety (yes, even Time-Flight!). Kinda is extroardinarily good, and almost unique in what it's doing. Earthshock is mesmerising, exhillerating and haunting, for all the obvious reasons! Alas, poor Adric... 

• Castrovalva is my all time favourite Who story. It is inexpressibly beautiful to me in a way I find hard to articulate to my satisfaction, It would be more accurate to say that Logopolis/Castrovalva as an A side/B side (the most perfect and moving and fluid handling of a regeneration ever) are my faves. But Castrovalva would just edge it if I was forced to bring just one to a desert planet.  

It's interesting that Castrovalva raises the question of is the celery imaginary, or a sort of ghost vegetable - at least until he gets to find a fresh replacement sprig? My own take on it is no, it's actually real as that one little bit of Castrovalva escaped the erasure of the realm - but it's kind of funny to think of it as Shrodinger's Celery on day one of Five's era anyway. 

I do love The Visitation and Black Orchid yes, but I adore that season in its entirety (yes, even Time-Flight!). Kinda is extroardinarily good, and almost unique in what it's doing. Earthshock is mesmerising, exhillerating and haunting, for all the obvious reasons! Alas, poor Adric... 

Children
  • Castrovalva is a seriously underrated episode to be honest, then again it features on a lot of people's top episodes so maybe it's growing in popularity now?!? I personally thought it was good as well, a great entrance for Peter Davison and if you have the special edition you can watch it with the cast commentary, something I've always enjoyed doing! I like your thoughts on it, and I agree with all of that as do a lot of other people I've read. All in all he had a great run as Doctor Who. I didn't watch it live as I wasn't around then but I've enjoyed collecting them all. I really wish he had done more, though it was awesome seeing his return in Jodie's final episode... He was still as good as ever!