Cold Weather

It is so cold here today- minus all day, that I have not gone for a walk. However I noticed something interesting in the garden. I hadn't realised how many cobwebs there were, but they are on view today and fascinating as covered in frost. 

How are others finding the cold?

Parents
  • Timing was perfect as it was snowing heavily, I got to enjoy a nice walk watching everything turning white. It feels like being Alice every time. Welcome to the Wonderland where snowflakes can roam free, undisturbed, shivering and huddling to walls people getting out of the way like never before.

I am jealous.

I adore snow and we haven't  had any.

I think you live in Brighton so are close to where I live but we seem to be the only area of the country that hasn't had any Slight frown

The other nice thing about living on the coast is seeing the beach white. 

It's quite a few years since I've experienced that, probably when I lived in Portsmouth.

Cold, icy, bright weather is by far my favourite Snowflake

• I have a Queen's Park accross the road, trees covered in snow remind me of happy momemnts in my childhood

• I remember some things you have said about your upbringing so the expression 'happy moments' has a real significance for you I think.

I once referred to any time I was able to spend with my dad alone (my mum didn't like him being alone with anyone else) as 'pearls on a necklace'.

There's a Philip Larkin poem where a particular line resonates with me:

'I ... feel like a child, who comes on a scene of adults reconciling, and can understand nothing but the unusual laughter, and starts to be happy'.

I learnt that when I was living at home, and I felt it quite deeply.

There weren't many moments though of 'adults reconciling'.

• I remember some things you have said about your upbringing so the expression 'happy moments' has a real significance for you I think.

I once referred to any time I was able to spend with my dad alone (my mum didn't like him being alone with anyone else) as 'pearls on a necklace'.

There's a Philip Larkin poem where a particular line resonates with me:

'I ... feel like a child, who comes on a scene of adults reconciling, and can understand nothing but the unusual laughter, and starts to be happy'.

I learnt that when I was living at home, and I felt it quite deeply.

There weren't many moments though of 'adults reconciling'.

Children
  • That's why we must treasure them, and reinforce those memories by creating new links to them.

You get it too. Longing and sadness because of losing something forever well concealed, so elusive only someone who experienced similar would notice behind all those 'happy' words.  Though my version of a poem would have adults replaced with grandad and nature.