Friend Requests that arouse suspicion - Is it just me?

Several days ago, I found myself on the receiving end of a Friend Request from a new member, which immediately caused me to feel unnerved and suspicious.

I question if it's a generational thing, or if it's just me. At the time that I received this request, there had been no prior interaction on the forum between myself and this member. Furthermore, their member profile was completely blank. Therefore, I had no way of knowing if this person was on a similar wavelength to me, or if we had anything remotely in common.

Parents
  • I have no problems with friend requests on this site, after all it's not real life, it is the internet.

Just be cautious.

Don't:

• Give out your true name.
    • Actual postal address
    • Lend or give money
  • I agree 100% with what you say about NOT giving away information such as postal address, and not lending or giving someone money.

However, I will have to agree to disagree with your comment about this site not being real life. As a result of reading old posts on this site, I am aware that some members have formed genuine friendships with other members. It's resulted in them meeting up for get-togethers in real life.

• Yes, I think it's wise to exercise caution, and to do what Paul M. has suggested and observe patterns over time before fully trusting in authenticity from someone you only know online. Speaking for only myself, I know that some kind exchanges on here and one other site over the last year have kept me sane at times, given me hope, and even forged (in the case of the other place - a small Discord community) one or two potential real-life meetups in the future. And even led to tentative collaborative involvement in something in the 'creative' realm if that's not putting it too strongly. Some of the connections and experiences on here/there have felt (have *been*) just as 'real life' as anything 'out here', and arguably even more so since some of the surface superficiality that one senses should not be gone beyond on certain days even with long-term friends, family, acquaintances can be dispensed with when talking to people who also feel marginalised and need to reality-test, find common ground, truly empathise, go un-masked etc.  

• Yes, I think it's wise to exercise caution, and to do what Paul M. has suggested and observe patterns over time before fully trusting in authenticity from someone you only know online. Speaking for only myself, I know that some kind exchanges on here and one other site over the last year have kept me sane at times, given me hope, and even forged (in the case of the other place - a small Discord community) one or two potential real-life meetups in the future. And even led to tentative collaborative involvement in something in the 'creative' realm if that's not putting it too strongly. Some of the connections and experiences on here/there have felt (have *been*) just as 'real life' as anything 'out here', and arguably even more so since some of the surface superficiality that one senses should not be gone beyond on certain days even with long-term friends, family, acquaintances can be dispensed with when talking to people who also feel marginalised and need to reality-test, find common ground, truly empathise, go un-masked etc.  

Children
No Data