Sherlock (The BBC version)

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone on here is a fan of Sherlock (The BBC television show)? It stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, as Holmes and Watson, and it's a fantastic show. I'd love to discuss it with someone :)

Parents
  • I think it's a clever idea to update it to contemporary Britain (and technology), but I'm too much of a fan of the original Sherlock Holmes stories to really take to it.  Have you ever read any of them?  The Hound of the Baskervilles has got to be my all-time favourite horror mystery novel.  I loved the stories as a kid because I really felt like I identified with the character of Sherlock Holmes.  I don't have any doubt that he was an Aspie!

• That's also one of the reasons I love Sherlock! I can really relate to him.  I have read a study in scarlet, a sign of four and a few of the stories in the adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  I recently got a leather-bound copy of the complete Sherlock Holmes which I am currently now reading.  The books are absolutely amazing! <3

• That's also one of the reasons I love Sherlock! I can really relate to him.  I have read a study in scarlet, a sign of four and a few of the stories in the adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  I recently got a leather-bound copy of the complete Sherlock Holmes which I am currently now reading.  The books are absolutely amazing! <3

Children
  • Yep I have seen that, it was very good!

• Benedict Cumberbatch is also good in The Imitation Game, playing Alan Turing - the father of the modern computer.  And another Aspie!

• I haven't seen that, so I'll watch it! Slight smile

• Thanks so much! I will check them out. I think he looked more like the original Sherlock in the Christmas special, when they based it in Victorian England rather than modernising it.

• The Musgrave Ritual is another good one.  I love them all, really.  One of the best films of The Hound of the Baskervilles is this one, which you'll find somewhere on the internet if you search around.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (2002)

Jeremy Brett also did a full-length feature of The Sign of Four, which is probably on YouTube.  I think they dramatised most of the popular stories with him in the lead role.  Benedict Cumberbatch is good, though - even if he doesn't look much like Holmes as originally conceived!

• Thanks! I will check it out.  I think the bbc series is very good but is a modern take on the books and so are very different from the actual books, so it will be nice to watch a series that is actually based on the books.  I also love the atmosphere of Victorian England created in the books too, one of the reasons why the books are so amazing! I also found Jekyll and Hyde a very good book in creating the atmosphere of Victorian England. I also can't wait to read THOTB, it sounds very good! Smiley  But need to read the adventures of Sherlock Holmes first lol.

• THOTB is the best Sherlock Holmes novel.  Of the stories, my favourites are The Speckled Band, The Boscombe Valley Mystery, Thor Bridge and The Bruce-Partington Plans.  I love the atmosphere of Victorian England created in the stories - before all the technology.  I watched the first 15 minutes of the first episode of the last series, with Holmes engrossed in his iPhone in every scene, and switched off.  The first couple of series were interesting enough, but the novelty soon wore off for me.

If you're interested, back in the '80s and early '90s, there was a brilliant run of series of the original stories, in the original setting.  Jeremy Brett played Holmes.  He was, without doubt, the best at playing the role.  Many of them are on YouTube... including a feature film of The Hound of the Baskervilles.  Check it out when you've got a couple of hours to spare and fancy a fright!

The Hound of the Baskervilles