Sense of self

Does anyone else have difficulty with knowing what they look like, or how they feel?  It sounds weird, but I noticed that I rely on other peoples views on what I look like a lot. I was trying to buy a foundation and an assistant helped me.  In the shop I was convinced it matched like she said.  I tried it on at home and it looks too dark now, but I'm not sure.  I was looking at my face and I just can't tell.  Without peoples opinions on things I feel like there isn't much there. I know some people use that against me to manipulate me sometimes, but it takes a while for me to realise that.  When I was younger I had a different hairstyle every months as people would tell me what would look good.  It took me a while, but then I realised I didn't like being treated like a doll. This is a confused ramble, but does anyone know what I mean? My sense of self is so weak, I feel like I can be convinced of anything by anyone to the point of needing their direction. \part of me knows it shouldn't be like that.

Parents
  • i know exactly what you mean and i believe its to do with my mental health condition

i dont know like, who i am as a person unless someones mentioned something to me, and,i just get confused when trying to work myself out

and yeah, i dont know what i like either, well unless at the time, it's as if i just forget everything that isnt in the moment

im trying to work on myself and at least find what i like at the moment, even if i need to write it down to remind myself, as it just feels im auto piloting all the time

• Exactly!! it's really hard to explain. I'm also working on myself to try and find my "flavor" myself.  It's really helpful to know that someone else it too. Thank you!

• anytime, it borderline personality disorder that causes it in me i think, identity disturbance i think the symptoms called, if that's useful in any way

although i think theres symptom overlap with asd, so can be hard to identify whats caused by what 

and im working out whats probable (undiagnosed as of yet), asd, and whats bpd, as i haven't long realised that quite a few things could be asd or at least having asd traits, especially when i look back into my past

but yeah, confusing when you try to think about who you are/what you like aint it?

• anytime, it borderline personality disorder that causes it in me i think, identity disturbance i think the symptoms called, if that's useful in any way

although i think theres symptom overlap with asd, so can be hard to identify whats caused by what 

and im working out whats probable (undiagnosed as of yet), asd, and whats bpd, as i haven't long realised that quite a few things could be asd or at least having asd traits, especially when i look back into my past

but yeah, confusing when you try to think about who you are/what you like aint it?

Children
No Data