New job and want to quit

My new job is going very badly.  I really feeling like quitting after two and a half weeks.  I'm making silly mistakes and I'm having difficulty remembering to follow all their procedures.  I'm definitely in the wrong type of work.  It's an office based job involving routine, repetitive work, the other trainees are doing better than me.

I can't quit because if I did I would be intentionally unemployed and the job centre would refuse to pay me and I would end up penniless, homeless and destitute.  But this job is driving me nuts.

• Sorry if this is a silly question, are you diagnosed ASD? 

• That's really horrendous!!

• I can empathize with struggling with new procedures. I have been in situations where others are quicker. If you are like me I take a while to process things but get there eventually. I am fortunate that my employer has got used to this now. When I have anything new I ask them to go through things slowly and I write it down in great detail so I can follow it each time until I remember.

I also tend to be critical of my mistakes and forget the positives. I can feel frustrated with my mistakes.

If you are able to, I find a walk after a busy day helps me unwind so I can start the next day in a better place.

Hope you might be able to work this out with your employer.

• You need to have a meeting with your employer to make reasonable adjustments, if you haven't disclosed that you have autism then maybe it's time to do so as it may result in adjustments being made or you being let go as they are not able to accommodate your needs which would mean that you would be able to return to benefits without implication and even support a claim for limit capacity to work element which could nearly double your universal credit entitlement.

If your on universal credit then you should be able to go back to the amount you where on before employment, but i highly recommended contacting your local disability employment advisor in your local job centre or local authorities headquarters who can sign post and possible assist in mediating the conversation with your employer and help you return to benefits if you need to.

If your having a difficult time because you have a really bad feeling that goes beyond normal anxiety, than maybe it time to leave. As your brain has already picked it up and you have been avoiding it. Believe it or not their are a lot of individuals including myself on the community page have had the same unusual feeling in the workplace and decided to ignore it and keep going just to be physical mistreated, Mis managed, Harassed which ultimately leads to burnout and a chronic mental health breakdown.    

• That is very stressful and they shouldn't be telling you to do that, that's just wrong. Makes you wonder how they get and keep there jobs! I agree with Buz, reach out to NAS they might be able to help you with this. I did that and they helped me get a job in the end so it might help you Rob. Most importantly though try not to stress because that will make things worse for you. Sending positive vibes.

• I am stressed out because most of these experts ask about my  'personal barriers to employment'  I mention autistic traits, mental health issues, depression, heart problems, references, long gaps between jobs.

Their solution is to lie on applications and pretend to be in perfect physical and mental health.  Lie about past experience, jobs, change dates, add & remove actual educational qualifications etc.

They offer to give glowing false references, 

• Try speaking to the NAS to find a suitable job for you, don’t stress yourself out 

• Every job I've had and that includes this new one has gone wrong.  A week or two in the job and the management and co-workers discover that I'm 'different' and the bullying starts and they want me out.

I can't leave because I fall into the trap of no work, no benefits, no money.

Employers consider me unemployable, and I've been told this to my face many times.

The DWP consider me to be perfectly healthy, both physically and mentally.  Every week I have to attend a mandatory work search review at the job centre or lose my benefits 

Recently I have been referred to third party private companies who claim to help with tailored schemes.  These call themselves by various names.  

1. A Restart scheme.
    2. A Kickstart scheme
    3. A Moving Forward scheme 
    4. A Developing You scheme.

They all have features in common.

1. A new CV
    2. Apply for more jobs
    3. Apply for unsuitable jobs
    4. Lie about your qualifications and past experience.
    5. Lie about past and present health problems
    6. They make excuses to refuse to reimburse travel expenses.

It's a mad world I want to get off.

• Everything is still new and unsettling. You need more time to settle in and judge whether you want to stay or go. Do not start comparing yourself to others either. That’s only going to push you in one direction.

You got the job, and you’ve been there for a few weeks. That’s an accomplishment in itself.  Like a lot of us, you are probably being too hard in yourself, and expecting too much of yourself too soon.

If you can, do have a chat with your manager/supervisor. See if anything can be tweaked for you while you find your feet. 

• Have you spoken to your manager/supervisor?  Sometimes its best to say that you are having a few problems....if they are worth working for.  They will help.  If the job isnt your cup of tea, look for something that your skills/interests are more in tune with.

Sometimes, i know i beat myself up for making mistakes, didnt feel i could do jobs properly....wasnt good enough.....alot of the time it was in my head.  

Hope something works out anyway for you