Work hours too much

My 20 year old son has just been diagnosed autistic.  He started a new job in Sept which was 16 hours which suited him.  he didn't tell them about his diagnosis and wanted to try and "get by".  His hours have now increased to 32 per week and he can't cope.  The problem is he really likes the job and the people but can't bring himself to speak to them and explain.  He would rather leave the job - he really needs to work it's done him the world of good up to now.  Any suggestions how I can get him to speak to his Manager (he won't let me do it!)

• yes, it's a popular tendency, more and more 

to make yourself feel better after thinking about geniuses on top you should watch The Apprentice, and what happens when they actually have to work LOL

• yeah possibly, they always get bad orders to pass on to us and bad new processes and ways of doing things that make work harder, they dont like that too but its the people at the top who never worked a day in their lives that come up with bad ideas that wont work and pass it down to them to make us do. gonna get worse on that were i am too as were moving into a new place and they wanna get more authoritive and say they will have security guards there to shake us down and confiscate our phones and anything off us and were not allowed to take a quick breather anymore and only are allowed our 30 minute break in a 15 hour shift and they will enforce that with making us have to have some 30 minute limited break card to use to go out and in for breaks. hell i member on my 2nd day or so here i went to toilet and got whined at because it wasnt my allotted break time lol

• I get that cause once you've got a job as an ASD it's almost impossible to get another one if you loose one. But yeah burnout when t comes to work sucks. People don't get how it effects our mental health either. The majority of us can only cope with part time but unless your firm with a manager and exsplain there'll walk over you. Maybe go in on his behalf. I went on strike as I was one of the hardest working employees when I was at Smith's as the rest were clueless so knew I could get away with striking as they were understaffed and desperate. I just point blank refused to go into work until they took my hours back down to 32 hours a week from 50  said I wasn't coming back till I get two consecutive days off in a row either sure enough it worked and they took my hours back down. Worked there for about year in the end but struggled with toxic staff and being bullied so quit

• it's not easy to cope being manager and friendly at the same time if you have conscience, your bosses uses you to push and bully those at the bottom and break bad news, so some would choose to keep the distance 

• that's right,

Equality Act says that if you ask for it it should be disclosed to people you point out only, I mean among work colleagues and managers, 

Data Protection Act prohibits anybody from disclosing it outside workplace

• some managers do have that too overly authoritive aura about them.
    i have one at my work place who is like a sikh or something, seems very uptight and authoritive and anything hed say id imagine would be a telling off or something, stern eye look, cold seeming, but that could all be in my head. but then again i have another manager who is cool and is like one of the boys and relatable and so on. so probably is in how stiff or cold seeming some people are, makes a sort of divide, maybe its their position that makes them like that and creates that divide or maybe they are just always like that.

• Thanks for all your replies.  He was absolutely drained after working a 32 hour week and couldn't cope with the hours.  He has made friends while there and enjoys the job.  He is extremely shy and couldn't pluck up the courage to speak to his Manager.  In the end he agreed I could contact him and put him in the picture.  Yesterday he had a meeting and they have been really good in helping him sort out his hours!   Hopefully it will be better going forward and he will become more confident (may even answer the phone!! )

• aye suppose so, but if he doesnt want to discuss it he wont get it solved will he?
    all we can do is guess in that case yes and then brainstorm ideas to help right?

my next guess is that perhaps he just wants more free time, more time to game in his life as lets face it full time work doesnt leave much time for anything else, i do 15 hours per day some times lol i got over my evasion of work by spending most of my life unemployed and squeezing all the fun out of everything to the point work then becomes the fun thing and everything else becomes depressing. that takes time though and alot of thought and personal growth...or personal decline however you wanna see that slip into everything turning dull in life to the point work is refreshing.

• I think you’ll find that he does not want to discuss the reason why he is unable to work more hours. It hasn’t been said that he doesn’t speak to his colleagues otherwise when needed.

• cant he just make do and continue?
    whats the problem?

i dont speak to my colleagues much too, i just get on with my work.... not speaking and getting on with my work makes me better at work and do more and better than anyone else, which makes the work place love me and the other colleagues like me more despite never speaking to them much or saying much of a word. if his issues is that he feels he needs to speak to his work mates more but cannot, he shouldnt be bothered about that, in the end not speaking will probably make him be more respected than speaking. the silent work horse is a more respectable figure than a generic worker that speaks, speaking even the normies slip up on and cause troubles for themselves and others. trust me its better not being a speaker and just being the silent work horse that people will look up to and respect more.

edit: there were a few that was odd but the few that were cold and weird with me ended up being found out to be theives anyway and fired, which is probably why they was weird and cold as theyd be on edge of being found out and tryna cover their crimes up all the time and be paranoid and distrustful.

• Work changes can be difficult for autistic people, and employers may not understand why someone doesn't want more hours, or more workload, or a change in role.  Its best to inform the manager by letter of his autism and difficulties with 32 hours, as limiting his hours would be a reasonable adjustment.  Doesn't mean they will agree to it, they may choose to let him go and find someone that can manage with 32 hours, but its best to try now before he crashes, or they let him go.

• Great thank you, I will take a look and see if they can help 

• Hi, thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately he has only been there since Sept so I think they could dismiss him without recourse but not sure.  He is extremely shy and feels that he can't broach it.  have spoken to him again this morning and he has agreed that I can ring his manager and tell him the situation.  Not sure if this is the right thing to do but it may help him to keep his job.  He cod email his resignation if he wanted to quit so not face to face!!  He would just not go back but he does really enjoy the job - hopefully I will be able to help him to sort it Grimacing

• There is a website called Exceptional Individuals - they can help draft a letter for employers disclosing his diagnosis. Hope things get sorted out x 

• Has he expressed why it's difficult for him to discuss this with his manager?

I dislike confrontation and have often missed out on good things to avoid it... but I can't see why quitting is any less confrontational than asking for less hours?

Presumably the company appreciates his work since they doubled his hours... so they would certainly try to accommodate him rather than lose him altogether and have to train someone new - especially in the current labour shortage affecting many sectors. I am not a lawyer, but I believe the disability act should protect him from mistreatment if he declares the autism to his manager.

If he is worried about making his autism public, I believe the employer is bound under the data protection act to keep the information private.

• As Catlover was saying, I think writing to the Manager is a good idea.  Maybe in this instance, I would advise letting the Manager know about his diagnosis especially as he's struggling to cope.  After I was diagnosed with ASD it was easier for me to reduce my work hours, however, I know every employer is different.

• How about writing the manager a short explanatory letter?