A revelation about getting on with people

I've realised that people prefer it if I start with pleasantries, not just going straight to the point of what I want to say.

e.g. just now I went to get my recycling bin after it had been emptied. At least I thought it was my bin. I saw my neighbour getting into his car so I called 'is this my bin?' He looked blankly at me and said, 'hello, how are you? Haven't seen you for a while.' I was confused, I needed to know if that bin was mine or his. He was confused because he hadn't seen me for a while and wanted to say hello, not talk about bins.

Then it dawned on me, ta dahhhhhhhhhh! I should have said 'hello how are you?' Before launching into the questions about the bin.

I like to get straight to the point, never mind chit chat. Most humans prefer the chit chat first. Bulb 

I hope this has been helpful Sweat smile 

Parents
  • I have only just discovered this myself. I have only just discovered Im neurodiverse so thought I was just blunt and have no speech filter lol, I generally just blurt out what is in my head... but yes people generally like a bit of small talk first which I need a lot of practice one. Glad Im not the only one that does this though so thanks for the post.   

• I have only just discovered this myself. I have only just discovered Im neurodiverse so thought I was just blunt and have no speech filter lol, I generally just blurt out what is in my head... but yes people generally like a bit of small talk first which I need a lot of practice one. Glad Im not the only one that does this though so thanks for the post.   

Children
No Data