Mental illness

The job centre have now referred me to the government RESTART scheme, run by a private company called Maximus.

Yesterday I had my induction, phone appointment.  As part of this induction they asked about my health and disabilities and the women on the line often repeated what I said, to double check the accuracy.  I mentioned autism, she repeated, ' you suffer from the mental illness autism.'

Parents
  • In update on my problems.

The job centre referred me to this company called Maximus.

I attended my appointment at Maximus and they put me down for three video conferencing job seeking courses over the next two weeks.

I've taken part in two of these video meetings, third one is later today.  So far so good.

Yesterday, I had a telephone meeting with my job centre work coach, he asked me to attend more courses, in person, elsewhere to help me with my job seeking.  This course clashes with today's Maximus video meeting.  I explained the clash to him and he reluctantly put me down for a later date.

Later, the job centre sent me details of yet a third scheme offering practical help and advice about job seeking etc.

All these multiple schemes are starting to drive me nuts.  They all overlap in what help and advice they are offering.  And they clash with each other.

The worst part is that if I don't attend one of them, then I breach my universal credit commitments and my benefits may be stopped leaving me penniless.

As for getting an actual paid job.  I've been told at interviews and by past employers that I'm unemployable due my unusual behaviour and body language.

• All these multiple schemes are starting to drive me nuts.  They all overlap in what help and advice they are offering.  And they clash with each other.

That's because the people designing the system are idiots.

As for getting an actual paid job.  I've been told at interviews and by past employers that I'm unemployable due my unusual behaviour and body language

Isn't that discrimination?

• Of course it's discrimination.

But, officially I was fired because employing me, with my "bizzare behaviour", was not cost effective.

• Ah, I see.

So they were seeing you as not being an effective or productive worker, or that you were causing problems in the workplace?

I gave up on trying to work for people a long time ago, and became self-employed instead. But that comes with its own problems...

• Ah, I see.

So they were seeing you as not being an effective or productive worker, or that you were causing problems in the workplace?

I gave up on trying to work for people a long time ago, and became self-employed instead. But that comes with its own problems...

Children
No Data