Life is very different now (Positive Effect of Diagnosis)

Since my diagnosis, my life has changed dramatically in every way. The first bit of good news was that the NHS Mental Health Service inviting me to weekly one-to-one support sessions to help me understand my autism post-diagnosis. Due to the pandemic, these have been virtual, but they have also invited me to attend group support sessions in September, which will be back in the real world. Secondly, the Council have put me on a waiting list to have my bathroom adapted into a wet room because have sensory and balance issues: I can't sit in water and I have balance issues standing under the shower in the bath.  And lastly, a few days ago, I was awarded full Universal Credit and signed off as unable to work by the DWP. In addition, I've also been awarded PIP. 

My life looks nothing like it did pre-diagnosis. I've worked for over thirty years, and have burned myself out more than once, taken long periods of sick leave, self-medicated with alcohol and stumbled from one job to another, sometimes being bullied and discriminated against, sometimes simply packing up my belongings and walking out. That's how I've lived, year after year, never knowing if I'd be employed the next week or the next month. Thanks to the DWP ruling, I've now had that pressure lifted from me. I still get fatigued with any social interaction or overstimulation, but the pressure to perform every day for a salary has been removed. Because most days I can't perform. 

I now have a card which says I am Autistic that I can show to people when I go for appointments and I arrive in a high state of anxiety resulting in me masking, giving any old answers just to be able to get through the appointment as quick as possible and get away. 

I've been given a free travel pass for local trains and buses (as well as national buses). This is extremely useful.

Has this made any of my life easier? Definitely. Despite all the horror stories I have heard about DWP, I have to say they responded fairly quickly to my application. I did provide a heap of medical evidence (including my diagnostic report).

So many changes, and mostly positive ones. Amazing how much of a difference my diagnosis has made. If you suspect you are autistic, I would strongly encourage you to take the necessary steps to get a referral for an assessment. I can't think of any negatives to getting assessed.

• No, problem. It's always useful to know for future reference.

• Thank you.  I do drive so I guess it’s not applicable 

• Passes are issued to those who have a medical disqualification from driving. Your GP has to complete certain sections of the application form to confirm that you are medically unable to drive. 

• Am I entitled to a travel pass even though I have a job? 

• Just to be clear:

DVLA requires you report Autism IF it affects your driving.

The only question I have ever been asked for insurance is "Do you have a medical condition which is reportable to the DVLA?"

For me the answer is no on both counts. Non-issue.

• That's incredible. I'm really happy for you.

• Same here. I can just about wear a wedding ring as long as it is loose. If I can't get rings off, I get scared and feel trapped. 

Bracelets and watches just annoy me, I can't bear things round my hands and wrists. I can cope with necklaces.

• Thank you Shadwell.  From my understanding, post-diagnosis support is not universally provided by the NHS.  And this service, in my area, is only available to newly diagnosed adults. That said, I do believe that once you take part in the program, you can always come back in the future.  What is it exactly? It consists of weekly one-to-one support and counselling followed by (optional) weekly group sessions. Everyone starts the groups at the same time as newly diagnosed autists, and it's a journey for everyone to take together to learn about their autism and share their experiences with one another.

Just to clarify, because I think it's important for you to understand, this is not a mental health service. It is an autism service provided to people newly diagnosed as on the spectrum in order to support them in understanding their condition and its implications/effects on their lives.  We discuss autistic behaviours and how they manifest in our lives, explaining the reasons for our difficulties, and how these difficulties impact our emotions. We are offered practical support to overcome any barriers we are facing. And while they do include a very informal style of counselling, and befriending, it's not a substitute for mental health services.

If your mental health issue is not related to your autism, then they would refer you to the appropriate MH service.

I'm not certain, but as far as I understand, it is not possible to access any autism services without an official diagnosis. You may or may not need an autism diagnosis to join in informal adult support groups or charity groups. But in terms of official support and access to services, you will need an official diagnosis.  Also, in terms of the EA 2010, your employer will only be expected to make RAs if you have an official diagnosis to present to them. The same is true if you were to require support from ATW.

• I'm glad to hear you have been able to access the support which has proved beneficial and helpful to you. The kind of mental health services you mention are exactly what I am looking for myself. I will be looking into what MH support is available in my area, and whether  it is possible to access this same support without a diagnosis. If it is, I may not go through with getting a diagnosis.

Not meaning to be negative, but I can think of a few negatives to getting assessed.

What if an ASD self diagnosis makes sense to a person, and does explain all of their difficulties, but then the official diagnosis comes back as negative? I feel that if that were to happen to me, I'd feel like I really have nowhere else to turn for explanations and support. It would potentially just mean that I am just a socially maladjusted freak and weirdo. Failure to get a diagnosis could potentially be a huge negative thing in terms self esteem. Since I have self diagnosed I have felt a lot better within myself and this is potentially propping up my self esteem. I could do with help to work though things like this.

If a person were to get a diagnosis, some people may feel that this would need to be disclosed to any future employers and even on job applications. This may even be a legal requirement to self disclose. Even though discrimination by employers is illegal it could still happen all too readily and the employer would just find some other non-discriminatory criteria to stop the progress any such employment application. (I think the legal / moral / ethical aspect of disclosure by job applicants is a whole other discussion. In the real world I know many people would not disclose anything that could potentially go against them, if they did not need to disclose it, and if it may not be discovered otherwise. That would be naive and idealistic in my opinion.)

Also I've just seen a thread on vehicle insurance. I'd not even thought of that until now. No diagnosis = no need to declare it to insurance / DVLA (this could potentially become the same thing in my opinion). Diagnosis  could equal big financial penalties and difficulties obtaining insurance at some point in the future.

• I'm really bad with other people who have facial piercings, I just stare at the piercings, I can't help it. 

• Hi Martin. It's anything around my wrists or fingers, ears or neck. Basically, everywhere. Any form of jewellery or decoration. It seems to absorb my attention and distract me. If someone else is wearing jewellery or decoration, I become absorbed with it too and often can't help staring. 

• Thanks, AD. I hope you are well. I haven't seen you post for a while.

• good to hear things are working out for u 

• I can't wear finger rings or wristwatches due to skin sensitivity issues. I always use a pocket watch, I rather like the 19th century effect.

• Oh, that sounds nice! I wouldn't wear it though as I don't like to attach anything to my clothing. It tends to distract me. I can't wear jewellery or watches for the same reason. But it does sound.

• That's the card I got (obviously with MY name and photo LOL).
    I don't mind the lanyard - I have been thinking that I might initially just use the lanyard without the card just to make people check their behavior - but I may well be overthinking (and overestimating).

I also bought this which I love as it is NeuroDivegent / LGBT crossover:
    Infinitely Rainbow Pin Subtle Gay Pride Ally LGBT Infinity | Etsy

• Hi JJ. Yes, I've just bought a personalised one last week with my name, photo and 'I Am Autistic' on the front.  I used it at the hospital on Wednesday for the first time.  I don't use a lanyard because I don't like anything around my neck.  I carry it in a pass holder and produce it when necessary.