Life is very different now (Positive Effect of Diagnosis)

Since my diagnosis, my life has changed dramatically in every way. The first bit of good news was that the NHS Mental Health Service inviting me to weekly one-to-one support sessions to help me understand my autism post-diagnosis. Due to the pandemic, these have been virtual, but they have also invited me to attend group support sessions in September, which will be back in the real world. Secondly, the Council have put me on a waiting list to have my bathroom adapted into a wet room because have sensory and balance issues: I can't sit in water and I have balance issues standing under the shower in the bath.  And lastly, a few days ago, I was awarded full Universal Credit and signed off as unable to work by the DWP. In addition, I've also been awarded PIP. 

My life looks nothing like it did pre-diagnosis. I've worked for over thirty years, and have burned myself out more than once, taken long periods of sick leave, self-medicated with alcohol and stumbled from one job to another, sometimes being bullied and discriminated against, sometimes simply packing up my belongings and walking out. That's how I've lived, year after year, never knowing if I'd be employed the next week or the next month. Thanks to the DWP ruling, I've now had that pressure lifted from me. I still get fatigued with any social interaction or overstimulation, but the pressure to perform every day for a salary has been removed. Because most days I can't perform. 

I now have a card which says I am Autistic that I can show to people when I go for appointments and I arrive in a high state of anxiety resulting in me masking, giving any old answers just to be able to get through the appointment as quick as possible and get away. 

I've been given a free travel pass for local trains and buses (as well as national buses). This is extremely useful.

Has this made any of my life easier? Definitely. Despite all the horror stories I have heard about DWP, I have to say they responded fairly quickly to my application. I did provide a heap of medical evidence (including my diagnostic report).

So many changes, and mostly positive ones. Amazing how much of a difference my diagnosis has made. If you suspect you are autistic, I would strongly encourage you to take the necessary steps to get a referral for an assessment. I can't think of any negatives to getting assessed.

Parents
  • Hi Tassimo,

It's really good to see some positivity going on Slight smile

Did you get one of the 'Sunflower Lanyards' and cards? It was one of the first (and few) things I did when I got the diagnosis (2 months ago). It's so odd - I haven't actually put it on in public yet but just touching it in my pocket when I get that creeping feeling that I'm not going to cope really helps (eg in the pharmacy / vet / wherever) - like I have a spare tool I can pull out if it all goes sideways.

• Hi JJ. Yes, I've just bought a personalised one last week with my name, photo and 'I Am Autistic' on the front.  I used it at the hospital on Wednesday for the first time.  I don't use a lanyard because I don't like anything around my neck.  I carry it in a pass holder and produce it when necessary. 

• That's the card I got (obviously with MY name and photo LOL).
    I don't mind the lanyard - I have been thinking that I might initially just use the lanyard without the card just to make people check their behavior - but I may well be overthinking (and overestimating).

I also bought this which I love as it is NeuroDivegent / LGBT crossover:
    Infinitely Rainbow Pin Subtle Gay Pride Ally LGBT Infinity | Etsy

• Same here. I can just about wear a wedding ring as long as it is loose. If I can't get rings off, I get scared and feel trapped. 

Bracelets and watches just annoy me, I can't bear things round my hands and wrists. I can cope with necklaces.

• I'm really bad with other people who have facial piercings, I just stare at the piercings, I can't help it. 

• Hi Martin. It's anything around my wrists or fingers, ears or neck. Basically, everywhere. Any form of jewellery or decoration. It seems to absorb my attention and distract me. If someone else is wearing jewellery or decoration, I become absorbed with it too and often can't help staring. 

• I can't wear finger rings or wristwatches due to skin sensitivity issues. I always use a pocket watch, I rather like the 19th century effect.

Reply Children