Social Media is Simultaneously One Of The Most Incredible and Terrible Inventions of the 21st Century

That’s my opinion I find the concept of social media hard to tackle in my brain because of my view on but curious to see what you think.

Parents
  • One of the main problems with the social media aspect, is the anonymity of a lot of it. I was always brought up to believe “if you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all” (part of the reason I don’t post on here that much) Where as a lot of social media works on the basis of, “if you have some absolute rubbish, often racist or deliberately offensive to say, do it anonymously on Twitter!”

If people had to sign up to an account with a real name, and prove their identity by providing proof of address etc, all the hate would disappear. I recently had my van sign written, and now my name and phone number is there for all to see, I drive a lot more safely and courteously.

I think as a society we are experiencing the X Factor, Big Brother, Love Island, YouTube effects, where seemingly nobodies can act like clowns for a few weeks and become Z list famous. Which still nets them a few million quid. Kids are so lazy these days because they think they can film themselves falling over a few times and, bang, rich and famous. The sad thing is they are partly correct.

• I think you're right, and fairly soon people will have to sign up and prove their identity. However this will lead to vast numbers not signing up at all because they don't want nutters finding out where they live and coming to pay a visit. I would certainly be wary of that happening to me.
    I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose for most of history the human race has survived without broadcasting every thought around the world. We can survive like that again.

• I wouldn’t see it that the details are available to the public, just kept by the administrators in the case where something illegal is said then they can pass it to the police a lot easier.

I think you’re right though, it would put a lot of people off, and that’s why it’ll probably never happen. If there is a chance that the business would loose revenue or market share, it’ll be blocked.

• I wouldn’t see it that the details are available to the public, just kept by the administrators in the case where something illegal is said then they can pass it to the police a lot easier.

I think you’re right though, it would put a lot of people off, and that’s why it’ll probably never happen. If there is a chance that the business would loose revenue or market share, it’ll be blocked.

Children