Do you guys actually care about this?

Parents
  • I voted 'yes', O.

My diagnosis says 'Autistic Spectrum Condition' and not 'Disorder'.

It says: you have received a diagnosis of an Autistic Spectrum Condition because you have significant differences in three main areas:

Reciprocal social interaction and social communication
    Restricted, repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behaviour
    Significant sensory differences

It does go into a lot more detail about these three areas. Then it says:

ASC is a lifelong neurodevelopment condition, which means these differences have been present since childhood and they are of a quantity and quality consistent with an ASC.

They did include a brief paragraph in which they say: New diagnostic manuals are tending to use the term Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC), as the use of sub-terms can be confusing.

I like the certainty and the validity that a label gives me. I've already had significant benefits from having a label, too, such as access to one-to-one support from a fantastic autism organisation, one-to-one support from my local authority which runs a course of tailored autism sessions and a post-diagnostic support service; and an unexpected increase in my personal independence payments. So, for me, the label has been a passport to more social and financial support than I've ever been able to access before.

• Hey Michael haven't seen you on here in a while,

My assessor said the same thing to me that they're trying to make the diagnosis into ASC rather than ASD which I think is good, 'disorder' seems like a strong term to me and needs to be used accordingly. My diagnosis said "ASD/C". I think it says that because I've suffered at the hand of anxiety (specifically) but also depression quite a lot throughout my life and it's held me back, and he just wanted it to cover everything, perhaps in order for me to have access to help should I want it and also if things change where you the difference of having ASD vs ASC might change how you get help

I am happy that I now have access to help, I'm still thinking about it because I have somewhat managed to regulate my depression my self but the anxiety I haven't, the thought of talking to someone about it through therapy just get my really anxious so it's something that I automatically make excuses not to seek therapy even though I know that I probably should.

• Hey, O. Yes, I don't get much time since things have started to open up. I'm a busy bee now that my studies have started up again, not to mention my music grades, writing and getting out and about a lot with various creative groups. I use the private message system once (sometimes twice) a week—I do keep meaning to send you a message, but I struggle with too many virtual relationships all at once, so apologies for that.

I hope you are well.

I keep away (usually) from the forum as it's not a good way to spend my down-time psychologically (too many people with too many problems). It was okay for a while during lockdown, but not any longer since the world has opened up. Although, truth be told, even in lockdown I found myself spending far too much time getting sucked into a universe of everyone else's pain and trauma. 

I did enjoy reading your contributions though! There are a couple of people on here I correspond privately with, so I will definitely check in with you via messages, if that's okay?

Yeah, as I said, I went from zero support to a whole range of support options since my diagnosis. I have my own autism support worker/advocate. I will be starting some post-diagnosis support provided by the local authority too in a few weeks. I've also had a very generous Personal Independence Payment increase post-diagnosis which came out of the blue and is really useful for getting out and about more.

• I suppose it all depends on where you are in the UK, O.

• Don't worry about it, maybe it might be a good idea how do I go about getting one?

Reply Children