Do you guys actually care about this?

Parents
  • I voted 'yes', O.

My diagnosis says 'Autistic Spectrum Condition' and not 'Disorder'.

It says: you have received a diagnosis of an Autistic Spectrum Condition because you have significant differences in three main areas:

Reciprocal social interaction and social communication
    Restricted, repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behaviour
    Significant sensory differences

It does go into a lot more detail about these three areas. Then it says:

ASC is a lifelong neurodevelopment condition, which means these differences have been present since childhood and they are of a quantity and quality consistent with an ASC.

They did include a brief paragraph in which they say: New diagnostic manuals are tending to use the term Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC), as the use of sub-terms can be confusing.

I like the certainty and the validity that a label gives me. I've already had significant benefits from having a label, too, such as access to one-to-one support from a fantastic autism organisation, one-to-one support from my local authority which runs a course of tailored autism sessions and a post-diagnostic support service; and an unexpected increase in my personal independence payments. So, for me, the label has been a passport to more social and financial support than I've ever been able to access before.

• Hey Michael haven't seen you on here in a while,

My assessor said the same thing to me that they're trying to make the diagnosis into ASC rather than ASD which I think is good, 'disorder' seems like a strong term to me and needs to be used accordingly. My diagnosis said "ASD/C". I think it says that because I've suffered at the hand of anxiety (specifically) but also depression quite a lot throughout my life and it's held me back, and he just wanted it to cover everything, perhaps in order for me to have access to help should I want it and also if things change where you the difference of having ASD vs ASC might change how you get help

I am happy that I now have access to help, I'm still thinking about it because I have somewhat managed to regulate my depression my self but the anxiety I haven't, the thought of talking to someone about it through therapy just get my really anxious so it's something that I automatically make excuses not to seek therapy even though I know that I probably should.

• Hey, O. Yes, I don't get much time since things have started to open up. I'm a busy bee now that my studies have started up again, not to mention my music grades, writing and getting out and about a lot with various creative groups. I use the private message system once (sometimes twice) a week—I do keep meaning to send you a message, but I struggle with too many virtual relationships all at once, so apologies for that.

I hope you are well.

I keep away (usually) from the forum as it's not a good way to spend my down-time psychologically (too many people with too many problems). It was okay for a while during lockdown, but not any longer since the world has opened up. Although, truth be told, even in lockdown I found myself spending far too much time getting sucked into a universe of everyone else's pain and trauma. 

I did enjoy reading your contributions though! There are a couple of people on here I correspond privately with, so I will definitely check in with you via messages, if that's okay?

Yeah, as I said, I went from zero support to a whole range of support options since my diagnosis. I have my own autism support worker/advocate. I will be starting some post-diagnosis support provided by the local authority too in a few weeks. I've also had a very generous Personal Independence Payment increase post-diagnosis which came out of the blue and is really useful for getting out and about more.

• Hey, O. Yes, I don't get much time since things have started to open up. I'm a busy bee now that my studies have started up again, not to mention my music grades, writing and getting out and about a lot with various creative groups. I use the private message system once (sometimes twice) a week—I do keep meaning to send you a message, but I struggle with too many virtual relationships all at once, so apologies for that.

I hope you are well.

I keep away (usually) from the forum as it's not a good way to spend my down-time psychologically (too many people with too many problems). It was okay for a while during lockdown, but not any longer since the world has opened up. Although, truth be told, even in lockdown I found myself spending far too much time getting sucked into a universe of everyone else's pain and trauma. 

I did enjoy reading your contributions though! There are a couple of people on here I correspond privately with, so I will definitely check in with you via messages, if that's okay?

Yeah, as I said, I went from zero support to a whole range of support options since my diagnosis. I have my own autism support worker/advocate. I will be starting some post-diagnosis support provided by the local authority too in a few weeks. I've also had a very generous Personal Independence Payment increase post-diagnosis which came out of the blue and is really useful for getting out and about more.

Children
  • I suppose it all depends on where you are in the UK, O.

• Don't worry about it, maybe it might be a good idea how do I go about getting one?

• I know! I am a bit impulsive sometimes! But thank you for keeping an eye out.

• Don't worry. You didn't ask, O. I offered. I can be a bit impulsive sometimes. I understand about the confusion. I'm really glad you can talk to your mum. I wonder if you might benefit from having an autistic advocate? I have been introduced to one since my diagnosis and I can text, call or email her anytime I want a chat or need some advice, or just to check in with her. She also organises social trips if ever I want to get out and about with other Autists.

• I am enjoying it so far it's going well and I'm understanding it better than I though I would.

I talk to my mum about it but it's hard she doesn't know much about it, she a clever person but she doesn't understand mental/neurological/neurodevelopmental conditions she just can't get her head around it. That's really the main reason why I joined the forum because I don't have friends apart from my cousins I don't feel comfortable talking to them about things like this can be a touchy subject with my family.

And I can't ask that from you from you but thank you very much. It's not a case of me not being affording it or anything I just have contracts and subscriptions that I want to finish before I get new ones I don't like having too many because I start getting confused with organising my money.

• Please don't share your login details! I know it is only an audible account but it still isn't very wise! 

• Oh, hark at you, clever clogs! Software development! I hope you're enjoying it. It sounds tough, but fun. I'm glad you're otherwise well.

I understand, I feel the same in many ways. Do you have any real people to confide in or just gabble at when the need arises?   

No, I'm the same. I never read printed books anymore, I always prefer the audiobook version. For me, it's very much like looking at an instruction manual, after a paragraph or two, the lines sort of blend into one and I have to keep going back to reread the same sentence over and over, then they all seem to blur into one big printed mass. I have it on my audible account, I wonder if I'd be allowed to share my login details with you so you could listen to it?

• I'm ok I'm still feeling like I'm getting to grips with my diagnosis it's almost been two months but I'm still learning a lot about my self from that perspective and I'm busy with my software dev course and that's keeping me focused on something which is good for me.

I haven't actually read the original Sherlock stories but I would like to I just have a bit of a thing with reading it isn't dyslexia I just find it really hard to retain what I read in my head, I know I can use audio books its just I have a lot monthly things that I pay for already I don't like adding to it, I might try just buying one of the books with just one or two story in I might be able to remember that more because it's fictional I'm not sure but I did a bit of research into it.

I've watched every Sherlock Holmes tv show and movie though and they are all great as far as I'm concerned

• How are you keeping? I've just read your profile and bizarrely I've just finished the entire Sherlock Holmes anthology (audiobook read by Stephen Fry). 72 hours in total (though not all in one sitting I might add!). I became absolutely enamoured by the characters, particularly Doctor Watson. Holmes, too, became almost like a friend. Inspector Lestrade was consistently annoying! So many fabulous stories and adventures. I enjoyed them all, but a few have really stick in my mind. The Adventure of the Dancing MenThe Valley of Fear; The Red-Headed League and The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb.

• That's good that you're occupied and you got some work to do, I don't mind you sending me a message but don't put your self under pressure to do it.

I can see what you mean from spending too much time reading about peoples problems, I've been trying to get spend a bit less time on here too as well just getting a bit distracting.

That's good you have your advocate and support in place and your PIP