What do you like to buy and collect?

Hey I thought it would be interesting to know what we all like to buy and collect. I like to buy books, I own lots of Agatha Christie books and loads of lego minifigures which I love to buy and collect. I've also began collecting money, my mum used to collect vintage banknotes, she had an album which is now mine and in it there's money from the 1920s. Such lovely things. I've also began collecting records. 

What do you all like to collect?

Parents
  • This thread is great! I'm using it for inspiration. I don't collect a lot, and when I do, I don't seem to sustain the desire to collect for very long. Partly, I simply haven't got space at home, so that's the decision made for me. Yet I also love constantly learning and exploring new things. 

I suppose my collections are more around collecting experiences. I'll enjoy photos and also mementos like rocks, shells and other natural items to remember the moments by. I'd love to travel more, learn more, explore more. Yet, now I understand about the spectrum, hopefully I can do this in a kinder, easier way on myself that doesn't involve optional high intensity experiences, like constantly changing accommodation when it's not needed, etc.

• I have found that hiring flats or houses is much less stressful than being in hotels. We rented a flat in Paris, owned by a French academic, for two weeks a couple of years ago and had a great time. This was helped by the flat being crammed with books, many in English. It felt more like we were living in Paris, rather than just holidaying there.

• I agree, Martin! I would say that, for me, it depends on the trip when it comes to which I prefer. When I was younger I did some solo travel and preferred hotels so I wasn't too far from help, had room service and things like that on hand. Yet the extra space and privacy of an AirBnb or similar is simply magical! The flat you stayed in in Paris sounds like heaven! What an incredible experience! It would be a dream come true to stay somewhere like that!

One thing that convinced me I was on the spectrum was doing a few trips with my partner. One trip was over just 1 month, but somehow we managed to stay in about 20 different types of accommodation and travelled thousands of miles with different modes of transport, different social occasions all the way. Very little of it was pre-planned, which my partner loves (and I wish I did!), but I struggled the whole way. It was a very confusing time - to be in some amazing places, relatively good accommodation, with a supportive partner, but to be mostly in fight-flight and overwhelmed, not knowing what to do to help myself. I didn't understand that part of myself then at all. So glad to understand it better now. What a relief, too!

• I think I would struggle to cope with an unplanned and extended holiday. I certainly like to know where I will be and what I will be doing.

Reply Children
No Data