Masking: What is it?

I've come across the term 'masking' a few times, and I did a little google search. I'm still not sure I fully understand it.

Parents
  • The general understanding I have is "faking it to fit in". Ronnie Pinder talks about it here https://livingautism.com/autistic-fatigue

• Wow. My whole life explained. Continuous watching of others, mimicking them, rehearsing 'normal' behaviour and making excuses for being exhausted due to sensory overstimulation. And utterly failing at every one of the above. Two phrases I've heard throughout my life, "You're not normal." "You're weird." And turning myself inside out in an attempt to be 'normal' and 'not weird'.

• Yep. School was awful for me because I was putting on a front while pushing everything down inside. I knew something was wrong - my family wouldn't accept it when I tried to tell them (they had their own issues but my father was 100% on the spectrum - no diagnostic test requiredWink).

I got through years of work masking and spent every evening exhausted. Remote working has been a boon for me because interactions with people are in manageable chunks - if I've had a draining call with a colleague I can literally step back, go downstairs, make a brew, play with the cat and give myself time to recover. I don't have to struggle to switch off from other people's conversations because there's not this constant stimulus and flow of other people around me. 

If only someone had asked me years ago what was really going on, instead of assuming I just needed to try harder. 

• Yep. School was awful for me because I was putting on a front while pushing everything down inside. I knew something was wrong - my family wouldn't accept it when I tried to tell them (they had their own issues but my father was 100% on the spectrum - no diagnostic test requiredWink).

I got through years of work masking and spent every evening exhausted. Remote working has been a boon for me because interactions with people are in manageable chunks - if I've had a draining call with a colleague I can literally step back, go downstairs, make a brew, play with the cat and give myself time to recover. I don't have to struggle to switch off from other people's conversations because there's not this constant stimulus and flow of other people around me. 

If only someone had asked me years ago what was really going on, instead of assuming I just needed to try harder. 

Children
No Data