Autumn and the seasons

I love autumn and I feel it passes so many people by as they move from "summer holiday" mode to "thinking about Christmas mode".

There's this wonderful period right now, with the changes of the seasons. The low, late, subtle golden afternoon light lingers on a fine day. The firey colours of the leaves ignite something inside me I can't quite describe. The orange, red, yellow, brown tones. That sweet smell of the leaves on the ground. The damp smokiness in the evening air...

That cool, crisp, chill which gets you by surprise...I always look forward to that time when it's finally appropriate to wear jumpers and scarves....(I'm no good in shorts and t shirt. The slightest drop in temperature and I'm putting a jumper on. Quite often it's still too mild for a jumper and I end up getting too hot.)

Getting the heating on at home and a nice pair of socks....eating comforting food...

I love all seasons, but I think autumn, perhaps, is the best. It's the calm, in between the time of the manic build up to Christmas from summer holiday hype. I know a lot of this is to do with consumerism as we are ever propelled toward the next calendar event....but it's nice to pause, reflect and take stock. It might seem we are on an endless runaway train but we aren't. 

What do you think is the best time of year? 

Parents
  • Notifications went to my spam box! But yes I am hibernating anyway :-)

Yes it's that MAGIC time of year and I would love to go foraging for fungi. Actually I went a few times by myself but wasn't sure what I was picking. Think I need a guide to show me what I am after!

Yes Desmond79, spring is a lovely time of year and the renewal and regeneration of life.

You sound like a big child, aidie :-) that's a good thing! I don't like Halloween - it's too commercial. I don't mind bonfire night (I like a good bonfire) it's just all the domestic fireworks I am not keen on. Mind you, they go off around here at other times of the year anyway. I think it's unfair on all the wild animals.

Oh, Simon! It's still too early for Christmas haha. I used to feel quite nostalgic at Christmas and loved how the feeling used to take me back to being a child. These days, I think the weather is too mild for me to feel Christmassy. We need that biting chill in the air which we haven't had for past few years.

• Notifications went to my spam box! But yes I am hibernating anyway :-)

Yes it's that MAGIC time of year and I would love to go foraging for fungi. Actually I went a few times by myself but wasn't sure what I was picking. Think I need a guide to show me what I am after!

Yes Desmond79, spring is a lovely time of year and the renewal and regeneration of life.

You sound like a big child, aidie :-) that's a good thing! I don't like Halloween - it's too commercial. I don't mind bonfire night (I like a good bonfire) it's just all the domestic fireworks I am not keen on. Mind you, they go off around here at other times of the year anyway. I think it's unfair on all the wild animals.

Oh, Simon! It's still too early for Christmas haha. I used to feel quite nostalgic at Christmas and loved how the feeling used to take me back to being a child. These days, I think the weather is too mild for me to feel Christmassy. We need that biting chill in the air which we haven't had for past few years.

Children
No Data