Autumn and the seasons

I love autumn and I feel it passes so many people by as they move from "summer holiday" mode to "thinking about Christmas mode".

There's this wonderful period right now, with the changes of the seasons. The low, late, subtle golden afternoon light lingers on a fine day. The firey colours of the leaves ignite something inside me I can't quite describe. The orange, red, yellow, brown tones. That sweet smell of the leaves on the ground. The damp smokiness in the evening air...

That cool, crisp, chill which gets you by surprise...I always look forward to that time when it's finally appropriate to wear jumpers and scarves....(I'm no good in shorts and t shirt. The slightest drop in temperature and I'm putting a jumper on. Quite often it's still too mild for a jumper and I end up getting too hot.)

Getting the heating on at home and a nice pair of socks....eating comforting food...

I love all seasons, but I think autumn, perhaps, is the best. It's the calm, in between the time of the manic build up to Christmas from summer holiday hype. I know a lot of this is to do with consumerism as we are ever propelled toward the next calendar event....but it's nice to pause, reflect and take stock. It might seem we are on an endless runaway train but we aren't. 

What do you think is the best time of year?