Driving

I got my diagnosis around three months ago and turned 17 last month and that means driving. I've never really wanted to drive and made that clear, but of course everyone still wants me to learn, which I understand.

During my first lesson I really tried to enjoy it, and after I was trying to stay optimistic and say I loved it, but it was so awful. It was so overwhelming, doing so many different things at one time, having to focus on all these different things.

I've had one other lesson, which I dreaded, and was so overwhelmed the whole time, once I got out the car I started having a panic attack.

I can't drive and I don't want to. I know how important it is to be able to drive but not only is it just overwhelming, it's also dangerous to me and other people. If I somehow get my license and get overwhelmed while driving I could crash and really hurt myself or other people.

I've tried talking to my mum about it as well as my granny but they both say I should do it anyway because it's an important skill to have. I don't think they really understand that it's different for me than it is for them

Any advice is really appreciated :)

• I learned to drive before having a clue I had autism traits.

I had a few kind of 'freak outs' but managed to stick with it and, after getting a lucky break of a very car free driving exam day, I passed first time.

I get that idea about being worried of safety of oneself and others. That was a big thing for me.

I did an intensive course at one point. It was very much intensive, particularly emotionally(!), but useful to keep getting back in car each for a number of hours.

I had a few instructors over a period of a few/several months and got my pass in my late twenties.

• I understand you greatly, Im know 24 years old and have made multiple attempts at gaining my driving licence, Not only am i autistic but i also believe i have Attention Deficit Disorder. Honestly no one im my family understand how autism and Attention Deficit Disorder actually affect be and how much difficult it make learning to drive. I have been through multiple driving instructors who have taken advantage of me financially. I have had multiple driving schools saying i am unsafe or unfit to drive because of my diagnoses. I have had Driving instructors cancel my lessons because they cant read me and i am so unpredictable to them. i have spent over £2,000 in the last year trying and i have had to nearly accept that might never be able to drive. But saying that i recently found an amazing driving instructor before covid-19 hit . Saying that the instructor hasn't given up on me and is patiently waiting for be to get the finds together to do my driving lessons again with him, my only problem with him is he is very social and it makes lessons very exhausting.

I also recommended that your parents if they can insure their car with you as a learner and take you out twice week to develop skills at your own pace. The pressure their putting on you to achieve this skill is coming from a good place but the pressure and frustration will make you malfunction and more like to break under the pressure and lead to an accident. They also need to get onboard with whole autism is affecting you and it will take longer and possible cost you more than the average person.  

My sensory processing disorder personally make me extremely sensitive to light i recommend getting adaptive lenses with anti glare because headlight are evil.

Also you need to find a Driving instructor who has experience with teaching neurodiverse individuals will help, they will help you develop strategies in recognising when you safe and unsafe to drive, this may mean they are more likely to regnosie when you are becoming overwhelmed and need to take a short break, They are also tend to be more patience with you and tend to less likely to flinching  and being overly negatively cautious with you which just distracts you.        

• do u live in the countryside where a car is needed all the time ? I;ll assume yes .

there is more to driving than getting a license u cant drive without insurance. Are ur mum and granny going to pay to have u put on their insurance . I'll assume they are going to do this.

get them to take u to an in door go karting  session -   one pedal and a steering wheel it funs and will build up your eye hand movement brain  as well. 

indoor driving games  have a go on them ( xbox360/ps2 + chair, + steering wheel , + pedals  then a screen that pretends u are driving ) that sort of thing.   

ask if u can spend a while at those sort of things first

if u cant ride a bicycle learn to ride one of those in mean time to get u used to motion.

ur cautiousness will actual make u a good driver ie not a risk taker                        

• I’m 34 and recently diagnosed with autism I don’t drive always been scared to I day dream a lot don’t trust myself to drive.

• My brother was the same, at that age, but he did pass the test at twenty-five years of age; I was twenty-eight whenever I passed my test.

Perhaps you're not ready; at your age. Not everyone is ready for life whenever they leave school. You have your whole life ahead of you.