Driving

I got my diagnosis around three months ago and turned 17 last month and that means driving. I've never really wanted to drive and made that clear, but of course everyone still wants me to learn, which I understand.

During my first lesson I really tried to enjoy it, and after I was trying to stay optimistic and say I loved it, but it was so awful. It was so overwhelming, doing so many different things at one time, having to focus on all these different things.

I've had one other lesson, which I dreaded, and was so overwhelmed the whole time, once I got out the car I started having a panic attack.

I can't drive and I don't want to. I know how important it is to be able to drive but not only is it just overwhelming, it's also dangerous to me and other people. If I somehow get my license and get overwhelmed while driving I could crash and really hurt myself or other people.

I've tried talking to my mum about it as well as my granny but they both say I should do it anyway because it's an important skill to have. I don't think they really understand that it's different for me than it is for them

Any advice is really appreciated :)

• wow you were in the band Oasis, thats awesome,  I bet you know some stories about Liam. Whats he really like ?

• I did cycling proficiency tests at Primary School; after class. Once, I ran into my Teacher; my mind was focused on wanting to get home on time for 'Huxley Pig' back then. Smiley

I never actually passed the cycling proficiency test, but still cycled as a young boy. That all changed whenever I got into Oasis. >:)

• me too and couple of biker girls I knew 

• Got to agree, the highway code for pedestrians and cyclist ( as appropriate) should be taught in school again.

There was a survey on proposed Highway Code amendments. The new proposals seem to put more responsibility on to the vehicle driver and remove it from other road users. There was a survey but it is now closed.

If you want to read them, is long, then the link is https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/review-of-the-highway-code-to-improve-road-safety-for-cyclists-pedestrians-and-horse-riders/summary-of-the-consultation-proposals-on-a-review-of-the-highway-code

• Yes, I think that is fair comment. Although, I would also give credit to the local bobby who did bicycle proficiency classes; especially as I was quite late learning how to properly balance on a bicycle. But I'm inclined to go back further than that and say that you should know how to be a good pedestrian. I drive in one of the most dangerous countries in the World, and I note that so few people really walk anywhere (like walk to school) that they never really learn the basics of highway safety like crossing the road safely. So when it comes to wheeled transport, they are already hugely inexperienced and full of bad habits.

Some of my earliest proper driving experiences were actually with a tractor. it left me very heavy handed with such things as gear changes, clutch operation, steering and braking. I took about three goes to pass the test, and didn't actually pass it until i was in employment. That's an argument for learning things with a natural progression, I think. However, I'm an attentive driver, with a long history of getting places safely and confidently

• Exactly what I did.

Infact it would be safer if everyone learned to ride a motorcycle first. It is well known, in the insurance industry especially, that motorcyclists make better car drivers.

• I know this isn't for everyone, but I learnt to ride a motorcycle first.  Got my road skills on that and finally passed my car test at 25.  I couldn't cope with being in a box with so many things to think about, with a motorcycle it was all at my fingertips and toes already.  I didn't get on with riding a bicycle as a youngster, but I did ride horses an I honestly think that made the transition to a motorbike alot easier!

I needed to be independent, and didn't really think of biking until I failed my car test four times and my parents suggested it!  Learning without someone breathing down my neck all the time was a great help. but the roads were alot quieter back then too...

• If you think you'd be okay with driving when you get the hang of it, but you're struggling at the moment because of nerves or worrying about messing up, try searching for a local driving instructor that caters for people with anxiety issues.

I know other people who have done this and found out really helping to have somebody who understands that they need some extra reassurance and patience.

• yea took me a while to work it out and I used my car from then on Slight smile my co-workers in work where in stitches about it. 

• The only people walking along roads in the US are bums & drifters - and you've seen Rambo haven't you?

• blimely I would have been too scared  to say anything. I was stopped loads of times but when they heard my accent I usually got off because I was just a "visitor/tourist." working in USA for short period. I was  stopped 3/4 times for working on the edge of the road. I sometimes worked to work. The police assumed I was crazy, ....thats what they said Slight smile   ( use your car crazy person ! )

• Nope - totally clean - only ever been pulled over twice-  once for going through a no entry - had a stop & produce for that - went to the cop shop and the girl behind the counter was putting the information into a big ledger - I asked how many they get per day - a full ledger's worth!   How many had MOT, tax & insurance?    I was the first!!!

The second was coming off a big roundabout near where I live - a Skoda Octavia VRS was in the wrong place doing the wrong thing and changed lane into the side of me - I braked and nearly had to go up the kerb to avoid an accident.  

The road split into two just after, I was going left, they went right.    I was shaking my head at the appalling driving as I powered off up the hill.       Next thing I've got the VRS up my bum doing a road rage - so I hit the loud pedal and left it for dead (2.6 litre Omega) 70 in a 30 limit - until I heard sirens!      VRS was an unmarked plod pursuit car,.   I pulled over and plod jumped out so I explained to them about their atrocious driving - they told me off to feel superior and let me go.   Muppets.   Smiley

• oh my that sounds so much trouble with the police in USA  where everywhere waiting to catch you,  and with a ppwerful car  it was inevitable  what was going to happen Slight smile did u ever get a ticket ?

• Yeah-  I've only had one manual (A BMW coupe) in the last 23 years but I've had 18 autos!

Last time I was in The States, I hired a 305bhp Impala - loads of fun!

• i loved them when driving in Chicago  - and since many new manual cars cant be push started any more :( the stick is losing is advantage

• Exactly - all electrics are 'auto' anyway.      Autos had a bad rap in the 60s because they were only 2-speed - so needed big engines with lots of torque so they we only fitted to bigger cars.   Since the 80s with the advent of 4-speed autos, they became the equivalent of manuals and could be fitted to small engines without them running out of puff at 40mph.    I can drive both but I love autos - so much more civilised that stamping on pedals and stirring the box.

• I like the automatice idea ,,,,,, as we move to electric being an automatic only license will become less relevant. Most ( 95% ) of electric cars have only one pedal :)

• Split the task into smaller chunks.       There are 4 parts to driving - 1, learning to work the car's controls - do that off road in a car park until you get the coordination sorted.    2, learning the paper stuff - road signs, lane positions, braking distances etc.     That's just evenings at home with the highway code.     3,   putting all together - there are lots of closed-course driver training places for teaching 16-year olds to drive so they can pass their test on their 17th birthday or for nervous lerners.       4,   Getting out and doing it all with other cars around you - like a normal driving lesson - but if you're sorted with 1, 2 and 3, that will be a piece of cake for you..

Another option is to learn in an automatic - that's just like Mario Karts - so much easier than messing around with clutch & gears.   Autos are much better at dealing with today's stop-start traffic and so much more relaxing to drive.

• Wow, I had no idea my difficulties with driving could have anything to do with autism! It's so reassuring to know I'm not the only one JoyJoy

I had a lesson with my dad when I was 17 - controlling the car in a car park was great, but the moment we got on the roads and I saw another car in the distance, I dropped the wheel, let go of the pedals and screamed. I'm a very nervous passenger too, and most people are rather unsympathetic. They can understand a fear of spiders or clowns, but somehow my fear of crashing is incomprehensible. I do want to learn to drive someday, I'm 22 atm, but I think I have a lot of stages to get through first: learning the rules of the road, conquering my fear, becoming a competent cyclist. I think the go-karting idea  is a fantastic one. 

I have a lot of sympathy with what you said about your mum and nan too. My nan talks about me driving every single time I phone, and bless her she just doesn't understand how or why I struggle with it. I think it's important to remember that although your relatives love you and want the best for you, you're the expert here and no-one should try to force you to do something that makes you feel unsafe. It's perfectly legit to decide that you don't want to learn to drive now or ever, just as much as I believe you are strong enough to tackle this if you choose too.