This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is it worth mentioning you have autism at a job interview??

Hi, everyone!

I am new to the community and was wondering if anyone else has had this same issue:

I am currently 27 and was recently diagnosed with autism last September.

I have been in the Graphic Design industry for 5 years now and I have been looking for a new job since the new year due to losing my previous one.

I currently have a little part time job but with the circumstances around Covid-19 there are little to no new jobs available.

When I was looking / applying / getting interviews etc, I didn't always put autism in the "disability" section unless that company is a well known / big brand because I was too scared I would put employers off as being "defective".

However, if I was to get another interview in the future, is it worth mentioning?

What do people think of this? Does it just come down to the employer themselves?

Thank you in advance!

Parents
  • How good are you at interviews?

How bad is your body language? 

I don’t know if it’s better to disclose or not. 

I don’t know how well people can read body language and if they reject someone autistic anyway - because they see that autistic body language is different than what they expect. 

I’m rubbish at interviews. Never disclosed anything because I’m not officially diagnosed (but my current employer knows I’m on the waiting list) but I can’t keep eye contact, take forever to answer a question (and my answers aren’t that good anyway) and I often catch that strange look on interviewer face (some kind of surprised/shocked/horrified  face) 

So it all depends.

No win situation. And humanity is doomed anyway (and I’m in really strange and dark mood recently)

• How good are you at interviews?

How bad is your body language? 

I don’t know if it’s better to disclose or not. 

I don’t know how well people can read body language and if they reject someone autistic anyway - because they see that autistic body language is different than what they expect. 

I’m rubbish at interviews. Never disclosed anything because I’m not officially diagnosed (but my current employer knows I’m on the waiting list) but I can’t keep eye contact, take forever to answer a question (and my answers aren’t that good anyway) and I often catch that strange look on interviewer face (some kind of surprised/shocked/horrified  face) 

So it all depends.

No win situation. And humanity is doomed anyway (and I’m in really strange and dark mood recently)

Children
No Data