This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is it worth mentioning you have autism at a job interview??

Hi, everyone!

I am new to the community and was wondering if anyone else has had this same issue:

I am currently 27 and was recently diagnosed with autism last September.

I have been in the Graphic Design industry for 5 years now and I have been looking for a new job since the new year due to losing my previous one.

I currently have a little part time job but with the circumstances around Covid-19 there are little to no new jobs available.

When I was looking / applying / getting interviews etc, I didn't always put autism in the "disability" section unless that company is a well known / big brand because I was too scared I would put employers off as being "defective".

However, if I was to get another interview in the future, is it worth mentioning?

What do people think of this? Does it just come down to the employer themselves?

Thank you in advance!

• I definitely wouldn't bring it up randomly as no matter what regulations there are the company will usually see this as a negative point and not understand it or compare you to someone else that has the same condition and they know that struggled with certain tasks. If during the interview they asked about what your weakness is I would consider bringing it up that I struggle with social anxiety to begin with though

• Personally i'd take a punt and mention it.  What if the worlds best employer is out there and everyone in it the workplace is willing to treat you kindly. Everyone who works there is nice and understanding. For me you'd be denying yourself the opportunity to find that and i'd take the risk.  A very big risk though. I am literally a gambling man. So probably not the best person to ask for advice.  Just saying what i'd do. I'd take the risk. Especially if you're alread y unemployed as you are adjusted to that to a certain extent. So how big is the risk really?

• the stats say, do not, unless it stops you going to the interview ie u cant face people or answer questions ( some autism people can not answer questions saw it in a program on TV about autism people working in IT companies). You can tell HR, if u want, after signing a contract and tell them u have been advised not to mention it upfront.   

The stats I mention are and I quote, from a survey, "more than 50% of employers will not interview anyone with any disability". I dont have a source, a woman from a disability organisation gave a presentation to the company I work for and thats her quote.

Generally public bodies such as Civil service  are more flexible than private companies

• It all depends if it will affect your ability to do your job. If you had a back problem and didn’t disclose it during the selection process, then later couldn’t perform your role because of the back problem, your employer has the right to terminate your contract for withholding information. It’s a risk!

I don’t suppose you are anywhere near Winchester though? I might be able to help.

• My advice would be not to say until AFTER you have secured a job. (And perhaps completed any probationary period.)

Absolutely, I completely agree.

It does depend on how good you are at masking it at the interview. If you can perform well at interviews, the best time to disclose is after the probationary period and even then it depends whether you need reasonable adjustments that you would otherwise not get and can't function without. Most of adjustments employers accept without a fight are also available to all employees, like earphones   etc.

However if they will spot that you are autistic at the interview, ir might be worth asking for reasonable adjustments at interview. It is a risk and you need to weigh the pro and cons.

• Apologies for joining this one late - I had a few issues registering.

My advice would be not to say until AFTER you have secured a job. (And perhaps completed any probationary period.)

At that point it may well be wise to tell your employer in confidence and stress that this should be kept confidential if you wish.

The reason for this is to try and make sure that an employer does not use the way that your autism might manifest itself as grounds for dismissal. If they do not know, then they can use that as defense at an industrial tribunal.

Remember that it is ILLEGAL to dismiss a person on grounds of disability.

I would also recommend joining a Trade Union. No matter what your political leanings, they are the organizations best placed for dealing with employment problems. Consider it as "employment insurance" if you wish. You insure your car, your home, your pets, so why not your source of income?

Hope this helps.

• Jobs I've been given when I have NOT mentioned autism at interview: Every job I've ever had.

Jobs I've been given when I have mentioned it: None ever.

I no longer mention it.

• How good are you at interviews?

How bad is your body language? 

I don’t know if it’s better to disclose or not. 

I don’t know how well people can read body language and if they reject someone autistic anyway - because they see that autistic body language is different than what they expect. 

I’m rubbish at interviews. Never disclosed anything because I’m not officially diagnosed (but my current employer knows I’m on the waiting list) but I can’t keep eye contact, take forever to answer a question (and my answers aren’t that good anyway) and I often catch that strange look on interviewer face (some kind of surprised/shocked/horrified  face) 

So it all depends.

No win situation. And humanity is doomed anyway (and I’m in really strange and dark mood recently)

• I must admit I agree with the previous comment. The sad reality is that you will be judged according to other people's prejudices; which generally boil down to the ignorance and/or laziness of co-workers; who are wrapped up in their own lives. Only disclose if you really need to, and if so, to those you trust, good luck Slight smile