Things that confuse me about haircuts

Neurotypicals seem to place quite a high priority on how their hair looks and I really don't understand their fixation with it. For example:

1. Why they talk about going to the hairdresser (who cares?)
  2. Why they enjoy having their hair cut (bright lights, horrible chemical smells and a hairdresser who talks incessant b*****ks)
  3. Why they walk up to you periodically with a big grin and say, "So, what do you think? Do you like it?" (as if I'm expected to notice that something has changed. Hint: I never do)
  4. Why they constantly brush, fluff-up or re-style their hair throughout the day (I ran a cursory brush through it when I got up, and I go to work to, y'know, work, not play with my hair all day)
  5. Why hairdressers are always trying to convince you to 'try something new' (err, it's taken me a decade to find something that both looks and feels acceptable, why would I change that?)
  6. Why they cost so much (especially with the amount of torment we have to put up with, per point 2, frankly we should be paid to be sat there)

Do you understand it? Funny stories and explanations both welcome and encouraged.

• I always find it wierd how so much effort goes into making your hair look nice I've recently cut my hair short as a lady its so freeing used to spend most of my life combing trying to tame it now so free. good to get to my scalp too feels good. spent so much money over the years going to hair dressers doing highlights a lot of the time if you start dying your own hair i;ve had hairdressers look at me wierd when i go in only wanting a cut and not a dye its like well i'm entitiled to do what i want to my hair without paying through the nose for it. I wish there was an easier way of cutting your own hair at home - i tried a few times and last time ended up cutting my ear and getting bald patches so leaving it to grow then will see if can get a cheap barber in to visit at home or something like that. the best hairdressers ive had is when you go in with a clear idea of what you want and they listen to it. growing up i would often say i didnt like having frizzy hair and the hairdresser would still style it curly and frizzy at the end. so many will just do whatever to get money out of you don't tale it know what you want go to them with that and if they can't deliver go somewhere else its ike any service know what you want and bargain for it

I had a hairdresser recently ask me could we do a slightly different time, I said no and suggested another time, they didn't get back to me so i suggested we meet a few weeks later for my hair to grow out a bit because i reasonably presumed we couldn't meet. next day he started sending me emails saying as a professional he charged cancellation fees and would waive it this time! I was like well maybe better communicate what you mean when arranging appointments! He did say sorry can we please keep in touch and I thought no you tried to charge me unreasonably for a service that I reasonably thought wasnt happening bugger off. found a cheaper barber that comes to homes will try them when ready. its so cold at the moment too so glad it is growing back slowly but surely.

• Hi! I like to get my hair trimmed and my highlights redone at least once every 3 months BUT I don’t feel the need to talk about it constantly, I just think about it periodically. We have a hairdresser visit our house once every 6 weeks as it’s cheaper and easier with the children, my youngest who’s two also has ASD and she hates having her hair cut, she would also cause chaos in a hairdressing salon! Also it’s in our home environment so no bright lights and sadly for our hairdresser, I’m the one who talks incessant b******s! I usually forget that I’ve had my hair done about 24 hours later and like yourself I only brush it when I get up and before I go out. I’m a low maintenance hair girl, I only wash and condition it then let it air dry, I can’t be dealing with dryers/straighteners/et al. A fringe actually suites me better but I cba with maintaining a fringe properly so I don’t have one anymore. Our hairdresser is well trained/knows I’m an awkward cow and doesn’t bother trying to convince me to try anything new :-)

• I'm not into fashion and style in the usual sense for females but I take my own sort of interest in it. A good haircut is part of my identity and always has been. This used to be and probably still is tied to notions of the music I like. Having said all this, I don take time to style my hair, it's wash and a 2 minute dry. I don't understand how people can mess around with their hair as much as they do.

If you saw me you probably wouldn't think my hair was out of the ordinary however, growing up it was the norm for girls to have perfectly straight hair, and many girls dye their hair. I've never felt I had to do this. So embracing my curls and greyness was my way of taking a stand against this as I have never felt like a typical female or felt like I need to fit in.

If "NT" people want to fettle and faff with their hair then that's entirely up to them.  I woukd leave them to it and not judge just as I would like them to let me be.

• 1. 2.I like to look good, it makes me confident.

3. Because they like you and wanna hear sth nice from you. They like to share their happiness, it makes them happier.

4. Sometimes it's tics, sometimes it's hair getting in front of your eyes and sometimes they just wanna fix a tiny bit so they feel more comfortable and beautiful in their bodies

5. Because a lot of people are just too afraid to ask.

6. Because hairdressers are people who need to earn money same as everyone.

• I have my neck shaved and I can't stop stroking it for weeks after 

• I love the feel when I shave my head. I just find it a faff having to keep on top of it! 

• I've only once been to a hairdresser...never again. I don't like being touched, can't convincingly pretend to care, hate small talk etc. I cut my own hair. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes not so good but I don't care really. I shaved it last year but I'm so nesh I was permanently cold. 

People were very shocked that I did my own wedding hair and make up. I usually think professional wedding looks look awful. The person looks so different. My sister spent a fortune on having her lovely natural curls straightened and then recurled. Her make up was so heavy she ended up taking it off and doing it herself.

• 1. They care about image more than 'substance'

2. They care about what other people think

3. It's part of the social ritual of 'nothing chat' / 'verbal grooming' - grooming in the sense like when you see monkeys picking lice out of each other's fur as a form of 'social bonding'

I cut my own hair with clippers: 6mm on the sides, 9mm on the top, 3mm at the back for anything below the level of the bottom of the ears

It's only gone wrong twice when the length guide slipped/came off... hair grows back so 'no biggie'. I'd quite happily just go 6mm all over (or even 3 or 0) but the wife's not keen...

• Why hairdressers are always trying to convince you to 'try something new' (err, it's taken me a decade to find something that both looks and feels acceptable, why would I change that?)

I want lego hair. Find something i like and just snap it on my head in the morning like a lego person. No haircuts.  

The worst part of a haircut is trying to explain what you want, even though it is bleedin' obvious , same as before, duh.  

Second worst is sitting in front of a mirror for half an hour looking at your own moosh. 

The third worst is having to act satisfied when you pay, while you feel like screaming and running out of the salon, lol. 

The fourth worst is getting home immediately afterwards, taking off your hat (because you put one on when you left) and proceeding to CORRECT the hairdresser's work, which you hate, then ending up crying in the sink with big lumps of hair in it that will take 2 months to grow back.

• I rarely even comb/brush my hair....

• We have a lady that comes to do my wife's hair - so I get my ears lowered at the same time - I have no style - just 'shorter' until my wife says it's ok.   That's how much interest I have in hair.

The good thing about short hair is zero maintenance - I don't own a comb.  Smiley