Things that confuse me about haircuts

Neurotypicals seem to place quite a high priority on how their hair looks and I really don't understand their fixation with it. For example:

1. Why they talk about going to the hairdresser (who cares?)
  2. Why they enjoy having their hair cut (bright lights, horrible chemical smells and a hairdresser who talks incessant b*****ks)
  3. Why they walk up to you periodically with a big grin and say, "So, what do you think? Do you like it?" (as if I'm expected to notice that something has changed. Hint: I never do)
  4. Why they constantly brush, fluff-up or re-style their hair throughout the day (I ran a cursory brush through it when I got up, and I go to work to, y'know, work, not play with my hair all day)
  5. Why hairdressers are always trying to convince you to 'try something new' (err, it's taken me a decade to find something that both looks and feels acceptable, why would I change that?)
  6. Why they cost so much (especially with the amount of torment we have to put up with, per point 2, frankly we should be paid to be sat there)

Do you understand it? Funny stories and explanations both welcome and encouraged.

Parents
  • 1. the same reason you talk about your "special interest" (ugh i hate that term) . . . because it is what they are interested in. 

2. because bright lights and chemical smells do not affect them the way they affect you.

3. because they want to make sure you are happy with what they have done for you, also because all people need to be told that they are good at what they do. 

4. the majority of species have something that attracts a mate, some birds collect beautiful things, some animals dance, some have bright colouring. it is built into most people's central behaviour as an instinct to keep the population of the species high and strong. nice hair is a sign of good health and therefor good reproductive health, which is a subconsciously attractive attribute. it is survival of the species. 

5. i have never had a hairdresser ask me to try something new, unless i was modelling. most hairdressers like my natural hair most of all and don't want to change it. 

6. it costs so much because it is a skilled profession, it may seem like it is not but it is an art and artists should be paid for their work. also hairdresser establishments need to pay the rent, food, taxes, national insurance. they are all independent businesses  and creatives who are excellent. 

my last visit to the hairdressers was amazing, i told them i had asperger's, the manager then arranged to book me in at their quietest time, the hairdresser i had turned down the music and did not speak a single word to me. she did exactly what i had asked for and the was amaaazing. I love to have nice hair because when i have nice hair i feel good. 

• 1. the same reason you talk about your "special interest" (ugh i hate that term) . . . because it is what they are interested in. 

2. because bright lights and chemical smells do not affect them the way they affect you.

3. because they want to make sure you are happy with what they have done for you, also because all people need to be told that they are good at what they do. 

4. the majority of species have something that attracts a mate, some birds collect beautiful things, some animals dance, some have bright colouring. it is built into most people's central behaviour as an instinct to keep the population of the species high and strong. nice hair is a sign of good health and therefor good reproductive health, which is a subconsciously attractive attribute. it is survival of the species. 

5. i have never had a hairdresser ask me to try something new, unless i was modelling. most hairdressers like my natural hair most of all and don't want to change it. 

6. it costs so much because it is a skilled profession, it may seem like it is not but it is an art and artists should be paid for their work. also hairdresser establishments need to pay the rent, food, taxes, national insurance. they are all independent businesses  and creatives who are excellent. 

my last visit to the hairdressers was amazing, i told them i had asperger's, the manager then arranged to book me in at their quietest time, the hairdresser i had turned down the music and did not speak a single word to me. she did exactly what i had asked for and the was amaaazing. I love to have nice hair because when i have nice hair i feel good. 

Children
No Data