Your best holiday(s).

Hello, I am just curious as to other users best holidays.

I have been to the USA twice. The first time (As part of a tour group), we visited Los Angeles (Including Hollywood), San Diego, Scottsdale, Sedona, Flagstaff, The Grand Canyon, A section of Route 66, Las Vegas, Calico, Yosemite National Park, Modesto, San Francisco, Carmel, Monterey, 17 Mile Drive, Solvang, Santa Barbara and Huntington Beach.

The second time (Again as part of a tour group), we also headed into Canada. We started off in Boston (We dropped into Cheers), Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto, Niagara Falls, New York City, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. 

Altogether, I have visited 12 states.

I have also been on a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords taking in Alesund, Bergen and Olden.

• Not quite a holiday, but when I started my first job, all the recent new starters were all sent on a week long team-building outward-bound course in Wales doing a bit of everything from orienteering, night-hike challenge, pot-holing, abseiling, rock-climbing, caving, camping, climbing waterfalls and various technical challenges - like crystal maze problems.   I really enjoyed it - no limits - big personal challenges and pushing boundaries.   it made me realise that the only limits I had were the limits of those around me - and there's nothing I can't manage given the right equipment.  

• We found Jersey really expensive - and you get properly gouged at all the tourist traps / German bunkers on the island.   We hired a car to get about and drove over 400 miles in a week - on an island that's only 10x5 miles. Smiley 

• I'm not really well travelled, nor do I travel particularly well, so I rarely venture outside Yorkshire these days. Not that I'm complaining; I love the place, and I prefer to get to know a few places really intimately than to pack a novel place into a week or two which flies past so quickly that I barely take any of it in. I'm just as happy finding unique little worlds in the leaf litter at the bottom of my garden, to be quite honest; or as I used to do, exploring caves and potholes; in their own way, far more remote than anywhere in the world that you could get a jet plane to.

My best, and most adventurous, holiday was back-packing in the Orkney Islands when I was in my twenties. I went on my own, and camped wild most nights, taking about a month to visit all of the accessible islands. The coastlines are absolutely magnificent in places, and the amount of wildlife that I saw was astonishing. Lovely people too; when I knocked on a farm door to ask permission to put my tent in a nice spot, the usual reaction was bafflement at why I'd even bother asking - I even got left a couple of eggs left outside my tent for breakfast at one spot!

Best of all were the neolithic and Viking archaeological sites. Nearly every island has a few, and some islands have dozens. In a single day, you could see a couple of stone circles, two or three neolithic chambered tombs, a Viking round tower (broch), and an incredibly well preserved neolithic village. When I was there, all but a handful of the biggest sites had any amenities - no acres of car parks, gift shops, security fences, etc. Most just had just a little fence around them to keep the sheep out, and you could easily have one all to yourself and explore it to your heart's content. It's once of the most concentrated areas of well preserved sites like that in Europe, and yet was so peaceful the whole time I was there.

Even the weather was good to me; mostly sunny, and with only three days of rain while I was there (it made up in intensity for what it lacked in frequency, though - the sky is like a power shower that only has on and off settings!)

• Autism friendly sounds good Slight smile

• If you want a decent stay it can cost in excess of £1,000 for accodamation and there not really many budget option over there if they are any it very basic budget but it lovely little island to explore but very expansive but very autism friendly 

• Howdy,

I've visited a few national parks in the US. Once I stayed in Vegas to get access to the parks in Utah, Nevada and Arizona. Vegas was the worst place I've ever stayed. It was WAY too much :) (lovely parks- mind expanding)

I love walking and have gotten interested in mountains recently. I hope to hike some of the Alps soon and ultimate holiday will be to get to Himalayas one day- my best holiday evarrr though, was India and Nepal- India was an assault on the senses and sometimes too much, Nepal was full on too but got to see a peek of the Hims when there for a day

• I've never been to Jersey, but I've heard it's lovely.

• I agree with Duckbread that you are well travelled but I have struggled with travelling has I toured the UK near enough and struggled 89% of the time with Anxiety and it strikes the fear of god in me so this year I tried a new technique and that using the air planes to leave the UK and I had the best time of my life in Jersey, No anxiety and being able to eat a full meal at dinner time which was achievement in itself as all my uk holidays, I could never do that 

• Wow - you're very well travelled! I absolutely loved Switzerland - a very autism-friendly place, in my opinion (very peaceful; open spaces; beautiful, snowy mountains; very clean; friendly people; interesting places... the list goes on). I also went to the Isle of Arran recently and that was a stunning place (very dog-friendly too, so great for animal lovers) - there were lots of stunning walks and the atmosphere is very relaxed.

I've been on a couple of cruise holidays and really liked those - it's a good way to get a feel for different places, so you can decide where you want to go back to. You can also fit lots in (but there's obviously the option to stay on the ship some days if you need to relax).