What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?

More light hearted fun Slight smile 

What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?

I’ll start, though mine was slightly more night terror than dream! One night last year I was dreaming that I was looking around my grandparents old house, except that there was an extra bit of house at the back, behind where the stairs were, so I went to explore it when suddenly a ghost jumped out and grabbed me by the wrists! I could physically feel something holding my wrists too, I remember physically shaking myself to wake up! Had to sleep with the door ajar for a few weeks afterwards too!

Parents
  • This might take some explaining..

In most of my dreams there is absolutely no difference between the dream and reality.. I fall asleep and then wake myself up.. a minute in a dream is the same as a minute in the real world and quite often I'm unsure if I'm awake or asleep.. 

The strangest dream Ive had though was when I thought id see how far I could travel from my body.. so I jumped in my car and drove aprox 6 miles away and then had the same feeling as when I wake myself up.. "I bite the back of my hand to wake myself up.." the feeling is like magnetism pulling me back..

When I wake in my dream there is no difference at all.. same sounds, smells, colours everything's the same..

I've totally got used to it but I do remember my first ones and it was very frightening and claustrophobic.. my dad and my middle son also have the same thing..

Anyone else..?

• I'd heard of people having the occasional dream within a dream, but your experience is extraordinary to me - even the most mundane of my dreams, I would never confuse for reality for a moment; they either lack clarity or are outlandish.

And fascinating that it seems to be hereditary (I see no way that anyone could be taught to do it.).

I've met a few lucid dreamers, which seems to be part of your experience, but I don't recall any of them ever mentioning their dreams being indistinguishable from waking. Have you ever met or heard of any others who dream like this?

• My dreams are so real that I've taught myself not to fight or anything in them just incase I'm actually awake.. 

A good example would be about a week ago.. now I don't really have any controll over location but I woke myself up while on a tropical island.. there was a well stocked beach hut and some benches with parasols.. so I sat down.. after about 10 minutes I got bored and went and got some paper and a pencil and sat back down.. I then spent the next few hours doodling on the paper till I got bored then woke myself up.. 

Strange thing is.. when I sleep I never move.. I wake up exactly as I went to sleep and to be honest I hate the thought of my duvet not being like I left it when I went to sleep.. I also  feel totally refreshed and like I've had the best sleep ever..

I was hypnotised a few years back and was told I went into a very dangerous delta sleep that he had to wake me from.. don't really know what that means as I've never researched it but either way I really do love to sleep..

• That's really good to hear that they monitor you while you're 'under'. Well I guess it is a medical procedure of sorts and it does cause alternative states of consciousness so they have a duty to monitor your vital signs!

It sounds 'very' surreal!

• To be honest I was very sceptical before I was hypnotised.. never thought it would work on me but I would now recomend it to anyone just for the experience.. think it was about £120 per hour under clinical conditions.. very hospital like with a pulse click on your finger.. 

I don't know if I got anything out of it really but the experience was very surreal..!

• Did he have you wired up to a blood pressure/pulse machine or did he do a manual pulse while you were under hypnosis then? I guess that's a sensible thing to do to check that the welfare of your client is maintained. It just never occured to me that a hypnotist would do such a thing. 

• Seem to remember him saying my heart beat dropped very quickly.. as he woke me I saw my dog jump onto my chest to wake me.. my dog wasn't actually there btw.. so I asked him about it and he said it was probably the thing I trusted most in the world.. he was absolutely right there.. I totally loved and trusted my dog.. 

• Seem to remember him saying my heart beat dropped very quickly.. as he woke me I saw my dog jump onto my chest to wake me.. my dog wasn't actually there btw.. so I asked him about it and he said it was probably the thing I trusted most in the world.. he was absolutely right there.. I totally loved and trusted my dog.. 

Children
  • That's really good to hear that they monitor you while you're 'under'. Well I guess it is a medical procedure of sorts and it does cause alternative states of consciousness so they have a duty to monitor your vital signs!

It sounds 'very' surreal!

• To be honest I was very sceptical before I was hypnotised.. never thought it would work on me but I would now recomend it to anyone just for the experience.. think it was about £120 per hour under clinical conditions.. very hospital like with a pulse click on your finger.. 

I don't know if I got anything out of it really but the experience was very surreal..!

• Did he have you wired up to a blood pressure/pulse machine or did he do a manual pulse while you were under hypnosis then? I guess that's a sensible thing to do to check that the welfare of your client is maintained. It just never occured to me that a hypnotist would do such a thing.