why do people come and go?

I sometimes use the "search" function to look up some questions I have to see if someone in the past has already ask similar questions. And when I look at past posts, like posts that were 6 years old, the people who were actively replying to posts back then (e.g., having many posts/replies and top contributor), pretty much all of them are not actively posting now. Actually, it doesn't even have to be that long, a lot of people who were active 3 years ago are not active now. So I'm curious, what causes people to leave? Is it because they got what they needed (e.g., originally needing advice on how to get a diagnosis and then they got one)? Or is it because they get bored of having to answer the same questions over and over for so long? Or is it because they had some bad experience here? Or is it because they later got a negative diagnosis and felt they don't belong? Or is it because they got too busy in life (e.g., work, family, friends, and other demands)? Or is it because they realised that they like the forum too much that they are spending too much time on it and should take a break? Or is it because they found a different ASD group (e.g., more local, more focused)? Or because they moved to a different country?

Do you think you will still be on this forum 5 years later?

Parents
  • I came looking for answers, support and to be supportive. I probably made a mess of it all and realise online is not a good place for someone who already struggles to read body language, intonation etc. I couldn’t even realise whether two people were just sparring like Punch and Judy or whether there were more serious things going on. Nor do I know if I was perceived as helpful or disruptive etc. I only meant to be helpful, but it’s even more difficult than in real life when you haven’t a clue who you are talking to, how they really are and how you are really affecting them, if at all. I’m also thoroughly disappointed with NAS. But that was my fault. Unrealistic expectations. I really am a nobody who needs to go back to observing real people. Online forums are really not suitable places for someone like me. Thanks for the help I’ve gleaned and received though. Sorry I’m not good at contributing. 

• Nor do I feel wanted here anyway. I’m just not part of the club. I feel even less included than in the real world. So I’ll work on the real world instead. It’s a bit odd here anyway. I just cannot figure it all out. It’s had a really depressing effect on me. Not everyone, just the general negative stuff. Life is for living, since I have to. Not tapping on a screen about. 

• Nobody responding? Ok. I get it. I’m a non person to NAS too. I’m off. 

• Hey, I'm the one who started the thread and should have been more responsive in monitoring the comments and replying. I see you posted 10 days ago, and that was 15th June, a Saturday, and I apologise that I am usually online less of the time during Friday night + weekends, though I sometimes do take a peek. But after a couple of days not being actively online, sometimes I miss out on comments when it gets pushed back to later pages because of new posts coming up. I don't think you should judge whether you are welcome or not just by one single post. 

• Hey, I'm the one who started the thread and should have been more responsive in monitoring the comments and replying. I see you posted 10 days ago, and that was 15th June, a Saturday, and I apologise that I am usually online less of the time during Friday night + weekends, though I sometimes do take a peek. But after a couple of days not being actively online, sometimes I miss out on comments when it gets pushed back to later pages because of new posts coming up. I don't think you should judge whether you are welcome or not just by one single post. 

Children
No Data