what kind of autism research would you do?

Suppose you have the funding and technical skills to carry out autism research (e.g., questionnaires, qualitative interviews, MRI, EEG, behavioural experiments, virtual reality, etc). What kind of research question would you like to ask? What autism question do you think is still not well known, and what would be your solution to solving it, or extend current knowledge?

Parents
  • Hi!  What an excellent question!  I hope you are not going to profit off of our answers because that would be very unethical.  :(  But since you posted, I'd like to respond.  Since Autism affects many by varying degrees, I can only talk about me, and my own experiences.  Yes, I was traumatized as a child, but I had no help (intervention) to put me on the right path.  Therefore, I'd like to conduct a simple research - obtain a group of young people (of varying ages), and coach them.  You see, "coaching" is the key to anything because knowledge is power.  I've grown up telling myself: "that an education is never wasted because it (the education) will always uncover opportunities that would otherwise be left unseen".  Now that is my line, and please use it wisely.  So, for example, there are many research projects in our world, but if … for high functioning, or those who have the capabilities of achieving "high functioning", there should be study to demonstrate that simple coaching and teaching a person who simply 1) not taught or 2) for whatever reason, did know that people communicated through non-verbal communications (because it does effect one's personal and work life once you try to advance in this world).  For example, a simple coach (teacher) to explain: what basic emotions look like … teach how to have varied interests because we know that as we grow older, it becomes much harder to teach an old dog new tricks; opportunities to "role play" how to start friendships or how to develop romantic interests (as to remove the internal stigma of embarrassment or anxiety) as well as learn through role playing how to overcome triggers such as "unwanted touches" or just learn what causes each of our anxieties and have role playing sessions with a non-autistic person to help us learn how to overcome these traumatic experiences; maybe have literary metaphor classes to teach us how to read between the lines because my imagination can run wild and the truth about what is socially discussed may never cross my mind (and I am tired of being the "weird" one); and lastly, how to help us from getting spaced-out when we are over-stimuli-ed.  I am sure a basic experiment demonstrating simple methods will yield great results.  I have tried looking for this kind of help, and I don't know if I don't explain myself properly but I am tired of living in tangents.  Thank you for your attention, and posting such a wonderful question for open discussion.

• I think something like this would be excellent. A lot of people with ASD struggle with the things you mentioned, like emotions, friendships, romance, spacing out, and getting over-stimulated. And people may have also traumatic experiences related to such things. Lots of people are working really hard in learning and understanding how the world works through reading books or counselling or through support workers, and how to interact with others. If there is an effective coaching / role playing method that can help people learn easily, and overcome the difficulties, that would be interesting.

• I think something like this would be excellent. A lot of people with ASD struggle with the things you mentioned, like emotions, friendships, romance, spacing out, and getting over-stimulated. And people may have also traumatic experiences related to such things. Lots of people are working really hard in learning and understanding how the world works through reading books or counselling or through support workers, and how to interact with others. If there is an effective coaching / role playing method that can help people learn easily, and overcome the difficulties, that would be interesting.

Children
No Data