My grandson with autism speaks in a very low voice

My grandson with autism speaks in a very low voice. How to make him little louder? 

Parents
  • I’m not sure you can make him do anything, I don’t think that’s even possible?

Are you saying you can’t hear him when he speaks and you are therefore unable to communicate effectively with him?

If he doesn’t speak loud enough for you or other people to hear him, have you considered using sign language with him? Makaton (think that’s how you spell it) is a very simple version of sign language that many autistic people use effectively. 

You can have picture cards as well. I have some on a key ring type thing that I carry around with me for the times I go mute, or I just don’t want to speak and I have a need to communicate with others. They work very well for me and my friend who got some at the same time, has found they have been invaluable to him when speaking to people who don’t use verbal language as their first choice of communication. 

There are many different ways of communicating without having to resort to trying to change somebody to meet your needs but of course, they all take time and practice to be able to use them easily and effectively and they often take some patience. 

Maybe search the main NAS site for alternative (for want of a better word, because why should they be called ‘alternative’ methods just because they differ from how the masses communicate?) forms of communication. 

• I’m not sure you can make him do anything, I don’t think that’s even possible?

Are you saying you can’t hear him when he speaks and you are therefore unable to communicate effectively with him?

If he doesn’t speak loud enough for you or other people to hear him, have you considered using sign language with him? Makaton (think that’s how you spell it) is a very simple version of sign language that many autistic people use effectively. 

You can have picture cards as well. I have some on a key ring type thing that I carry around with me for the times I go mute, or I just don’t want to speak and I have a need to communicate with others. They work very well for me and my friend who got some at the same time, has found they have been invaluable to him when speaking to people who don’t use verbal language as their first choice of communication. 

There are many different ways of communicating without having to resort to trying to change somebody to meet your needs but of course, they all take time and practice to be able to use them easily and effectively and they often take some patience. 

Maybe search the main NAS site for alternative (for want of a better word, because why should they be called ‘alternative’ methods just because they differ from how the masses communicate?) forms of communication. 

Children