My grandson with autism speaks in a very low voice

My grandson with autism speaks in a very low voice. How to make him little louder? 

• Yeah, I wouldn’t worry too much about it at this stage and with a grandma like you, he won’t go far wrong in life. All that most of us need in order to thrive, is someone who loves us and someone like you, who will do whatever they can to support us. He’s a lucky little boy. I’m sure he’s adorable, and not just because he’s your grandson ;) 

But you know, some others might have some tips, so keeping checking in and you are always welcome here, for whatever the reason ~ autism effects everyone in the family, not just the individual, so please remember you are always welcome here. 

The main site has some great info as well. I just don't know much about speech and language in kids. I spoke very quietly when I was younger though, especially at your grandsons age, and if you heard me now, you’d never believe it! I’m sure some people would pay me to shut up simetimes, if they thought it would work ;) 

• He is only three and half years old. He is undergoing speech therapy so let me wait and see.Tnaks.

• No, I don’t want to know anything more but if he doesn’t speak loud enough for people to hear, I would definitely look into sign language ~ only if he’s interested to as well of course.

That’s the only thing I can suggest, other than trying to make him speak louder and I wouldn’t see that as a good choice, unless again, that’s what he wants and if so, you would probably be best going to a vocal coach or maybe a speech and language therapists?

Sorry, I’m not much help in this situation. Why does he say he speaks in a low volume voice? 

• He does not go mute. He talks at a low volume. We hear him speaking but many times cant make out what he says. He also can not call anybody loudly. If you like to know anything more, let me know.

• I’m not sure you can make him do anything, I don’t think that’s even possible?

Are you saying you can’t hear him when he speaks and you are therefore unable to communicate effectively with him?

If he doesn’t speak loud enough for you or other people to hear him, have you considered using sign language with him? Makaton (think that’s how you spell it) is a very simple version of sign language that many autistic people use effectively. 

You can have picture cards as well. I have some on a key ring type thing that I carry around with me for the times I go mute, or I just don’t want to speak and I have a need to communicate with others. They work very well for me and my friend who got some at the same time, has found they have been invaluable to him when speaking to people who don’t use verbal language as their first choice of communication. 

There are many different ways of communicating without having to resort to trying to change somebody to meet your needs but of course, they all take time and practice to be able to use them easily and effectively and they often take some patience. 

Maybe search the main NAS site for alternative (for want of a better word, because why should they be called ‘alternative’ methods just because they differ from how the masses communicate?) forms of communication.