Musical instruments

I am learning both the Guitar and Violin.  I started with the Guitar first and play the chords with a pick. More recently I started to read music and learn the guitar fingerstyle.

In the past two weeks I have started to learn the Violin. However, I have to wear ear plugs because of it is so loud and starts sensory problems.

Does anyone else do something similar?

Parents
  • I took up the piano when I was 19 - 40 years ago - and I'm still hopeless at it!  I could never play in public.  I understand some music theory and can read music, but I'm not great technically - even after years of practicing scales, arpeggios, etc.  I took lessons for a while in my 20s and got up to Grade 4.  I have an electronic piano at home, but haven't touched it in over 2 years now.  Maybe I'll give it another go some time.  I really used to enjoy it - learning new pieces.  But I have no real talent for it.  I tried the guitar for years, but struggled even more.

My niece's son, on the other hand (14), took up the guitar a year ago and is a 'natural'.  He can already play complex riffs and seems to know his way instinctively around the fretboard, and with fingering.

• I think I'm also a frustrated drummer!  I love drumming.  It's a form of stimming for me, I think.  I'm always being told for tapping my fingers or drumming against something, which I quite often do when I'm either anxious or getting impatient.

I love stuff like this.  I find it hypnotic...

Techno street drummer

• I'm always being told for tapping my fingers or drumming against something

Likewise. I often find myself tapping rhythms with my fingers on my bonce, and even when I'm just playing with my beard or jiggling my restless legs, it's always in little rhythmic riffs.

Reply Children
No Data