Loneliness

Hi im an autistic 19 year old, I just started back at university after a summer of having no one to talk to and I was determined to make friends this year but so far have had no luck. I try everything i smile at everyone i see, be nice, go out with everybody etc. I just can't maintain an interesting conversation, i can do the general stuff like "how are you liking uni?", "nice weather" etc. I even go over topics with my mum beforehand but that still doesn't help. Does anyone have any ideas to help me chat/banter with other people? 

Parents
  • Have you watched other people, to see how they do it?

Try this:

No one (NT) really listens, they are just waiting for their turn to speak.

Therefore, keep finding opportunities to turn the conversation back for others to say something. If it seems like someone else isn't contributing or keeps getting overlooked, ask them, "what do you think?" or something else to draw them into the conversation.

Another idea: Read this book. I wish I'd read it whilst I was still in my teens(!)

en.m.wikipedia.org/.../How_to_Win_Friends_and_Influence_People

• Have you watched other people, to see how they do it?

Try this:

No one (NT) really listens, they are just waiting for their turn to speak.

Therefore, keep finding opportunities to turn the conversation back for others to say something. If it seems like someone else isn't contributing or keeps getting overlooked, ask them, "what do you think?" or something else to draw them into the conversation.

Another idea: Read this book. I wish I'd read it whilst I was still in my teens(!)

en.m.wikipedia.org/.../How_to_Win_Friends_and_Influence_People

Children
No Data