New Here and Looking for Community and Resources

Hello! I’m new here, and I was only diagnosed about one and a half years ago as an adult. I experience a lot of social anxiety, but I really want to meet new friends in person, so I wanted to ask if there are any autistic groups in Scotland that meet in person? Also, does anyone know of any mentors in Scotland who does mentoring through home visits? Hope you all are well. I’m glad to have found this community.

• It will depend on where abouts you live in Scotland. The big cities are catered for but smaller towns and rural areas that's a different story. I find that there are no resources in my locality hence getting some support from this forum. I do not think there is any joined up thinking in Scotland on this issue and as public funds are dwindling services for late diagnosed adults are seen as a luxury.

• You might also like to check out the NAS resource covering anxiety, which explains how common it is among autistic people, and includes advice about sources of support:

NAS - Anxiety

• Hi and welcome to the community!

I wanted to ask if there are any autistic groups in Scotland that meet in person? Also, does anyone know of any mentors in Scotland who does mentoring through home visits?

You might be able to find what you're looking for by using the NAS's Autism Services Directory. You can use the directory to search for all kinds of groups and services based on a postcode and radius search.

For example, here are the results from searching for "groups" within 20 miles of the (Glasgow) postcode G1 1AB:

https://www.autism.org.uk/autism-services-directory/search-results?searchTerm=group&postalcode=G1+1AB&radius=20

Just change the search parameters to adapt this for your location.

The NAS Scotland page also has links to various resources:

NAS Scotland

You might also find that a local autism body in Scotland can advise on local groups that meet in person and/or mentoring services:

Autism Scotland - Scottish Organisations and Support Groups  

• Hi eventhorizon (great username by the way)

Welcome to the forum. I know that there are people based in Scotland on here, so I will need them to answer your question. But I just wanted to say hi and also link in the Moderator here, incase they have information for you. - atleast I hope this will bring them up!