Meltdown behaviour

Hi 

My son is 11. Diagnosed May 2024 though i suspect autism since he was 18 months old and have fought ever since.

My question is, during a meltdown he becomes aggressive, hitting, biting, scratching and kicking, towards me or his older brother.

Should he be disaplined for these behaviours even though they hapoen when he is in meltdown?

Thanks

Parents
  • I think for me it would have been helpful for someone to explain what I did during my meltdown not to discipline me necessarily but to help me find other ways to cope during a meltdown which is hard but over time I’ve managed to do things like surround myself with soft things so I don’t hurt anyone. I needed to understand that no matter how I’m feeling, hurting others or myself is not okay, but it is okay if it takes time for me to have ‘safer’ meltdowns

• I think for me it would have been helpful for someone to explain what I did during my meltdown not to discipline me necessarily but to help me find other ways to cope during a meltdown which is hard but over time I’ve managed to do things like surround myself with soft things so I don’t hurt anyone. I needed to understand that no matter how I’m feeling, hurting others or myself is not okay, but it is okay if it takes time for me to have ‘safer’ meltdowns

Children
No Data