Night Owls thread

This a thread for a people who are still awake at night and feeling lonely.  You can chat here.

Parents
  • The night is here.  Where are the Owls?

• I'm a bit of a dusty pigeon today but finished the demolition stage of the flat refurb I'm doing at last.

Got some time off tomorrow to do some studying and maybe do a bit of creative writing to keep that project alive.

Has anyone tried writing creatively before? I'm looking at a form of childrens story but written with adult themes threaded through it that should go over the kids head but entertain the adults.

I have mapped out the story arc, the characters (loosely) and the chain of events but need to put flesh on the bones now. Maybe I just need to get a flask of coffee, a bowl full of chocolate bites and get stuck into a sugar and caffeine fuelled writing binge.

How is the heatwave over there in Blighty?

• Much cooler today.

I have long dreamt of being a writer but I haven't really started yet.

Reply Children
  • Earlier this year I took part in a short workshop around experimenting with food memoir writing. 

I wrote a short piece as part of that workshop (we read them out to the group) and I was surprised how well received the piece was by that cohort. 

I don't think it was so much the food element, per se, to which the cohort were responding.  Rather, it seemed they were appreciating the sharing of aspects of observation, recollections and introducing them to the journey through a different cultural celebration.

So, no, I don't have any particular themes brewing - more a case of "note to self" - that I ought to muse further on the experience of that workshop.

• I see it is also on Libgen so you can download their free copy (it is the 2012 version).

Personally I wanted to start capturing the ideas rather than developing the skills to write well just yet so I can get as much raw creativity as I can.

If the ideas have enough merit then I can train up on how to improve the telling of them later.

Do you have any themes gestating in your creative juices?

• I haven't completed much creative writing, although, I was mulling over a potential online course which caught my attention.  I noticed their required reading book was:

• Lodge, David, ed., The Art of Fiction (Penguin, 1992) ISBN: 0140174923

It looks like secondhand / used copies are readily available for a modest budget (...certainly compared to the course fee, so that might be a more appropriate place for me to start - if I warm to the book, then perhaps I would feel more enticed by the prospect of the course!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Fiction-Illustrated-Classic-Modern/dp/0140174923/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1X47S50LSM30L&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.FKoXktl0w4HgthQ_xZRpwg.4w4Kqj2-r9c-379cBmLIF2OwhBZFN5lQSGRzA5-fBjY&dib_tag=se&keywords=0140174923&qid=1723759810&sprefix=0140174923%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-1 

• I have long dreamt of being a writer but I haven't really started yet.

I was like this for decades then one day I thought "if I never start then I'll never do it" so I started writing the outlike of a story - then made time for a few days to put together a few paragraphs until I had a 2 page story.

It broke the ice enough to get me thinking and actually building the frame of what I wanted.

Give it a try - even if it is just researching what you want to write about - make some notes and this action will break the ice for you.

That would be my suggestion anyway - you do you Slight smile