Funerals - how to stop crying even when you aren’t close to someone

I go to funerals for practice. Death was swept under the carpet for me as a child by my parents. Me and my sister weren’t allowed to go to my grandpa’s funeral and our dog died shortly after - neither were talked about really. I was 10. I don’t know if this is the cause of my upset at funerals but I can’t stop crying - even for a next door neighbour or someone I knew of online but hadn’t met. It feels like the funeral place itself triggers the emotion and offering sympathy to relatives at the exit procession has me in floods.

So, I decided to go to funerals for practice. I have been to a few for people I barely knew. I’m not getting any better and I’m worried that when it’s someone that means a huge amount to me (e.g. dad), I’ll be a wreck. I know crying is normal but I fear that line up they do outside the funeral where everyone gives the family sympathy. Will I have to do that?

My dog died recently (I was devastated but she was old and we’d had an amazing life together). I can’t cope with the sympathy people want to give - yet I can talk about her and events with her quite happily to anyone.

Does anyone have any advice for funerals please apart from, it’s OK to cry? I know it’s OK but I don’t want to. I want to cry in my own space in my own time. A few tears is OK but I want to be able to have some level of control on my emotions. I’d rather let everyone go to the funeral and not be there at all - even for close family. I’d like people who want to meet, meet, and people who don’t, don’t. I don’t think this is acceptable though!

My elderly aunt is currently in ICU. I don’t feel emotional about her and didn’t have a close relationship but I think she is close to the end hence the thoughts about the next funeral!

Hints and tips happily received!

Parents
  • I’m not really sure if it’s acceptable to go to peoples funeral’s to ‘practice’ - and I’m not convinced it will be helpful for you either. Ever funeral is different because it’s all dependent on your feelings for the person involved. I would just accept that you will ‘feel how you feel’ when the time comes and if you cry or don’t cry it’s ok. You can’t predict it. I cried at my mother-in-laws funeral but I didn’t cry at my own mother’s funeral - which wasn’t what I expected. You just have to let your emotions do what they do. We can’t control some things and it can be helpful to just accept that.

• I’m not really sure if it’s acceptable to go to peoples funeral’s to ‘practice’ - and I’m not convinced it will be helpful for you either. Ever funeral is different because it’s all dependent on your feelings for the person involved. I would just accept that you will ‘feel how you feel’ when the time comes and if you cry or don’t cry it’s ok. You can’t predict it. I cried at my mother-in-laws funeral but I didn’t cry at my own mother’s funeral - which wasn’t what I expected. You just have to let your emotions do what they do. We can’t control some things and it can be helpful to just accept that.

Children
  • Given other people don’t know I’m practising and I am there because I know them somehow, I don’t think it’s unacceptable but I do agree it’s not helped - hence asking here. My emotions seem to be the same whether I know them vaguely or well so I feel a bit different to you. I think one of my difficulties is that I like to control things so yes, I do think that needs work. Based on Alexios’s suggestion, I’ve created a fiddle stress ball that ties around my wrist (so it doesn’t bounce away mid-hymn (although that might help distract me ;D)) so I’ll give that a try at my aunt’s who sadly died yesterday. I’m also reading up on small talk for funerals. This is helping https://ask.metafilter.com/362267/Funeral-smalltalk Thanks for your help too.