if paying for a private diagnosis and issued with medication, is the medication on private prescription or is it transferred to NHS prescription ?

My grandson has had a recent diagnosis of autism, he is months away from his GCSE'S. His sleep pattern is topsey-turvey. His GP cant prescribe anything stronger than phenergan 25mg.

I am wondering whether to go down the avenue of a private doctor and wondering will the prescription be private or will it be sent to his GP and issued as a NHS prescription? 

We as a family are totally confused over the whole thing.

Parents
  • Hello, my 16 year old is under CAMHS and has been suffering from autistic burnout and severe anxiety for 6 months. The wait for support on the nhs is so long that he’s now seen a private psychiatrist who has prescribed fluoxetine. We had to pay for a private prescription/meds. I’m been advised to see if CAMHS will take over the review and prescribing (not hopefully). Alternatively I’m hoping for a shared care agreement where the private psychiatrist continues review of his progress and the GP prescribes. GPs generally won’t prescribe antidepressants (ssris) to under 18s, they have to be under the care of CAMHS. 
    Hope that helps 

• Hello, my 16 year old is under CAMHS and has been suffering from autistic burnout and severe anxiety for 6 months. The wait for support on the nhs is so long that he’s now seen a private psychiatrist who has prescribed fluoxetine. We had to pay for a private prescription/meds. I’m been advised to see if CAMHS will take over the review and prescribing (not hopefully). Alternatively I’m hoping for a shared care agreement where the private psychiatrist continues review of his progress and the GP prescribes. GPs generally won’t prescribe antidepressants (ssris) to under 18s, they have to be under the care of CAMHS. 
    Hope that helps 

Children
No Data