if paying for a private diagnosis and issued with medication, is the medication on private prescription or is it transferred to NHS prescription ?

My grandson has had a recent diagnosis of autism, he is months away from his GCSE'S. His sleep pattern is topsey-turvey. His GP cant prescribe anything stronger than phenergan 25mg.

I am wondering whether to go down the avenue of a private doctor and wondering will the prescription be private or will it be sent to his GP and issued as a NHS prescription? 

We as a family are totally confused over the whole thing.

• Hello, my 16 year old is under CAMHS and has been suffering from autistic burnout and severe anxiety for 6 months. The wait for support on the nhs is so long that he’s now seen a private psychiatrist who has prescribed fluoxetine. We had to pay for a private prescription/meds. I’m been advised to see if CAMHS will take over the review and prescribing (not hopefully). Alternatively I’m hoping for a shared care agreement where the private psychiatrist continues review of his progress and the GP prescribes. GPs generally won’t prescribe antidepressants (ssris) to under 18s, they have to be under the care of CAMHS. 
    Hope that helps 

• An NHS GP will still stick to what their system tells them to prescribe, also you have to try the medication before dismissing it or the dosage.

Going private is also unlikely to change the outcome unless you're feceptive about the symptoms and age of the patient

• Phenergan 25mg is pretty strong. That would be enough to put me to sleep for a good 10 hours. I would watch out for these sleeping tablets as they can be addictive and they can make you black out etc and not remember what you did. It’s always better to get to the root cause of a sleeping problem rather than sleeping pills. Maybe he’s just worried about the exams and that’s why he can’t sleep because that would be completely normal if he was worried about it. I would be the same 100%. With that being said maybe you could ask the GP about melatonin. It’s a non addictive sleeping pill that is pretty effective however it’s not good to rely on it. Plus it can make you sleep in bed late. So might not be ideal if you want your grandson to wake up in time for his exams. Best of luck.

• His GP cant prescribe anything stronger than phenergan 25mg.

If this is the case, are you thinking that a private doctor might prescibe stronger?

I think that is unlikely.

I am wondering whether to go down the avenue of a private doctor and wondering will the prescription be private or will it be sent to his GP and issued as a NHS prescription? 

A private doctor will give you a private prescription which you would pay for (as far as I know).

However, if it was ongoing this should be able to be changed in the future for the NHS doctor to prescribe (at a lower cost) but in this case that doesn't seem likely, if you are hoping for something other than what your grandson's NHS GP will prescribe.

All the best with this.