Withdrawal from meds

Have any of you stopped taking your meds and how did it go?

I stopped my Mirtazapine on Monday with the agreement of my GP and I’ve had a week of very upset stomachs, dizziness and mood swings. I feel absolutely rotten just now but I know I need to get through this.

I just hope it doesn’t last too long.

• The timing of your post couldnt have been any better. 

I have been tapering off of the max dose of Duloxetine for some time now. I really felt i didnt need it anymore. 

I am currently 10 days into complete zero and i am experiencing the brutal realisation of the fact i still need them. My anger came back with a fury that scares even me. The suicidal thoughts are hourly, and the self harm just to cope is impossible to ignore. 

I thought i was keeping it hidden, however my wife told me last night i should go back on them, and my boss told me im 'scary' again. She just came into my office and asked me if i need to go home. I dont want to be that person anymore. I have that awful feeling that nothing good will ever come again. 

So for me coming off my meds is an absolute living hell. Best part is i cant get more meds till Monday. 

Apologies for being so negative and predictably anti everything. 

• Can I ask why did you come off it? Was it not working? Mines doesn’t do much either but I just stay on it at a low dose so I don’t get any side effects. Low dose is better in my opinion. 

• I stopped my Sertraline and experienced withdrawal symptoms as well. I had dizziness, upset stomach and headaches, I did call my GP as they were pretty severe, to me at least anyway and my GP suggested not stopping completely and to break the pill in half and gradually cut down and then stop.

I did this and it stopped the withdrawal side effects completely and then when I eventually came off the half pill I had no side effects. It was bliss.

Well done for coming off your meds, that's a big step to take.

I hope you're feeling better soon. It shouldn't last too long.

• I’ve reduced the dose for six weeks before stopping completely this week. Everything was fine until I stopped completely.

• At the moment I just need my body to stabilise a bit before I can even assess any psychological impact.

None of this is helped by the fact that Shadow, who normally tries to sit on my lap 24x7, has been completely avoiding me the last few days. I wonder if I smell different without the pills.

• Thank you. I found this about Mirtazapine withdrawal and it does list the symptoms I’m experiencing.

khealth.com/.../

• I moved to the lowest dose about six weeks ago then did a fortnight with a pill every second day all without any problem, but this week has been awful. 

I suppose it’s possible I’ve coincidentally got a stomach bug at the same time.

• Amerantin,

You've asked, so I'll tell you...

I have been addicted (by prescription) to three branded benzodiazepines, the third being Temazapam in 1989.  I received no help whatsoever from the prescribing clinicians (GPs) and found it extremely difficult each time....... but I made it!  The third time I learned from a voluntary help agency that there was an NHS funded treatment service almost on my doorstep, about which my GP claimed to know nothing. I self-referred and was treated with electro-acupuncture five days a week for five months. I'm not sure if the acupuncture actually worked or not, but what certainly did help was meeting numerous others in the same position, including a headmaster, a solicitor, a prostitute, a couple of rather young homeless lads, a lady who designed clothing, a gifted artist and many others, predominantly addicted to prescribed meds although a few were on street drugs.

I really hope the medical profession has moved forward since those dark days when GPs just knew so very little about dependency.  I stress that this was some thrity five years ago, and things can only have improved.

The best advice i can offer you is to reduce the dose gradually, as slowly as you need to.... it is not a race.

Ben

• Hopefully you reduced the dose slowly

That's a good point.

Tapering off is usual otherwise the side effects of withdrawal can be much worse.

• Hopefully you reduced the dose slowly; I think SSRIs are supposed to be pretty rough in general. I don't remember having any problems with mirtazapine really but I'm very cautious so my approach is to ask the psychiatrist what the usual rate for lowering dose and stopping is, and then go at least twice as slow. (I also do the same in reverse when starting meds) 

• I've been on and off antidepressants for decades.

However, the one I am on now (Seroxat) is so effective I hope to stay on it for life.

I've come off it a couple of times (for fairly long periods) and the main side effect for me of withdrawal was tinnitus.

The side effects of withdrawal eventually wear off.

However, I found the inability to cope with life, the extreme response to stress, being locked into a state of anxiety and the generally feeling low always returns, and I now see my meds in a very positive light - as a friend.

I'm very sorry you are suffering.

• I am not familiar with the particular meds you described - but the below NHS web page offers a description of what some people experience as they adjust off these meds, some reassurance about the likely duration for experiencing certain withdrawal symptoms, plus guidance on at what point it might be appropriate to get back in touch with your GP (to explore another strategy) if you continue to struggle with your own experience.

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/talking-therapies-medicine-treatments/medicines-and-psychiatry/stopping-or-coming-off-antidepressants/

Hoping that things will become a bit easier for you before too much longer.